Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Seeking opinions on Stanley tour performance
Posted by: (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 10:25PM

I am an experienced brass car owner but new to steam. I would like to find a Stanley to restore and eventaully tour. My question is that I am unsure of what models would be most suitable for the driving that I would like to do. I would like to hear owners' experiences on what is a reasonable touring speed for a CX and EX and what is reasonable for distance between water stops as these cars are being driven today? Are the tiller steering cars particularly touchy or tiresome to operate? Thank you, Robert

Re: Seeking opinions on Stanley tour performance
Posted by: (---.nmsi.ac.uk)
Date: February 22, 2012 07:05AM

I have not got my car running yet so can only give hearsay.

When I was looking for a 4-seater touring Stanley I was advised to get one of the later cars (1910 onwards I believe - others will know exactly) with a 'wet' engine.

I managed to get a 1914 car, the engines of these have a stronger crankshaft and connecting rods than the earlier onees.

Earlier car engines can be upgraded with moden components however.

From my point of view, the ready availablity of parts for the 1910 and onwards cars was also a key factor.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 02/23/12 06:51AM by Peter Turvey.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC