Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Re: HELP! DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS 1906 MODEL H IS?
Posted by: (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: May 1, 2012 07:19PM

Rolly

We have Dunlop tires from NZ and purchased rims to match. They are metric size but close to original size. The wheels and tires have been done for a while, we are in the rolling chassis stage now. See photo, as the car looked last June. Curt

Attachments: P4080452.JPG (81kB)  
Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 2, 2012 07:27AM

Very nice Curt
What are you using for an engine.
I was hoping to see wire wheels the H had 34” X 3” the H5 had 34 X 3.5”
I’m not sure what you can get today, you did not post your tire size.
Last fall I visited the NASCAR museum to see the original wheel hubs used on the Rocket 1907 see attachment.
Rolly

Attachments: PC060006-a.jpg (111kB)   PC060009-a.jpg (112kB)  
Date: May 2, 2012 12:00PM

I have an original picture of our car as it appeared in 1915 and it had wood fenders and wheels. It is probably an H1 as it is an extremely early 1906. No one alive seems to know the difference for sure between H1, H2, and H3. I've been around and around with people on this issue for years, but our car definitely had wood fenders and wheels! Curt

Date: May 2, 2012 01:05PM

There is not a lot of evidence or photos of the early H to know for sure what was what.

There are only three photos of square back early H cars in Kit Fosters book. Only two have the flat dash. Of these only one has the wire wheels. There is one of the Marshall car listed as 1906 H5 with a square back. But it says it was purchased in 08 and it has external rear brake drums not available till 1907.

The only car listed as an H on page 141 has wire wheels and there is a deferens in the detail of the seat, the center section of the seat on the H is the same height as the outside section. All the other cars listed in the H1 to H5 the center section is lower then the outside edge as is yours. ??

Rolly

There is one other photo of the 1906 H on the scales in Ormond Beach. Wire wheels flat dash, no seats. Page 191. Also as is the photo on page 141 the hood is slopes downward. Not just tipped as the front edge is perpendicular with the dash. Different then all the other model H cars.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 05/02/12 01:54PM by Rolly.

Posted by: Mike L Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 2, 2012 03:07PM

I can't resist posting this picture taken in 1907 which may surprise you. I won't say more just now but wait for an item in the Steam Car Magazine which explains all. I have another 1906 picture, possibly of the same car - the seat middle divider slopes down and so also does the hood although as you say Rolly the front of the hood is vertical. The hood also slopes down on this 1907 picture and you can see that it is parallel to the top of the chassis. The chassis of the "1906"/1950's rebuild which began this discussion is quite different to the original H.

Mike

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 05/02/12 03:16PM by Mike L Clark.

Attachments: H4 smaller.jpg (195kB)  
Date: May 2, 2012 03:52PM

Nice photo Mike
You have the photo identified as an H4 why? Do you have another photo with the center seat section lower.
It must be 1906 or as one place In Kit Foster’s book the H might have been as early as 1905. no rear brake drums.
Rolly

Date: May 2, 2012 08:35PM

Our car has external rear drums and it is definitely early 1906. I too would like to know why Mike is calling that a H4 looks like an H to me. Yes the early flat dash Hs are on the cusp of the 1905-1906 models according to what I've found. Curt

Posted by: Mike L Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 3, 2012 05:11PM

As I understood it from Brent Campbell's articles in the Stanley Museum Quarterly there were two wire wheeled cars made and these were H4s. I know no more that than and even then am working from memory as I don't have easy access to the old file of magazines at the moment. No doubt there is more information in Kit Foster's book but I don't have that. The other picture is too poor to show much but the centre divider of the seats slopes down and is lower than the outsides of the seat as on Brent Campbell's grey H5 and all the others for which I seen pictures.

Mike

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC