Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
steering
Posted by: les nelson (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: May 31, 2012 10:57AM

One of our members rang the other day about SHIMMY on the steering on his 735 Stanley, if memory serves me correct should the steering be set with TOE OUT? I am sure a recap would be welcome by some members, I recall fitting a damper to ours as we suffered the same, any comments welcome, Les

Re: steering
Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2012 12:27PM

After I re-boilered my 1920 with a high output Derr I could do fifty plus any time I had a chance, if I hit a bump the wrong way she would go into a shimmy, scary.
My friend Richard said he had a shock dampener on the tie rod on his 23 for the same reason.
Rolly

Attachments: 1920 Stanley.jpg (167kB)  
Re: steering
Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 31, 2012 08:48PM

On most of my old cars with bias ply tirs, I set the toe in at 1/8" toe in, that also includes our 735B Stanley. All lost motion has to be eliminated from the steering to be able to have positive steering without tire shimmy. Balanced and true running tires and wheels also add to the driving pleasure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC