Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Whistles
Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: June 3, 2012 01:15PM

Hi all,
I was thinking of buying a whistle to go on our 1923 Stanley 740 when we get it going, I know there are those brilliant 6 note jobs around, but they are quite pricey, what other whistles and valves are sutible for 550PSI? Is there a way of reducing the presure down so a less high pressure whistle can be used? Where's the best place to put it? Thanks. George Hounslow.

Re: Whistles
Posted by: (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: June 3, 2012 07:52PM

The absolute best whistle I purchased was from Allen Blazick in the USA. He is not a member but if you want more info let me know ($400 to $500)

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 3, 2012 10:17PM

The best place to mount a steam whistle in under the running board. The running board keeps the whistle's condinsate off of the rest of the car. It also shields the steamer's occupants from the loud whistle melody. The worst place to mount a whistle is between the head lights. With it mounted there you also get your windshield washed at the same time that you blow your whistle. No windshield? Then you would get your faces washed instead. smiling smiley

Posted by: (---.armstrong.com)
Date: June 4, 2012 09:33AM

What's the clever way to mount a whistle under the running board? Pipe nipple with some brackets welded on?

Date: June 4, 2012 11:58AM

Kelly, To firmly mount your steam whistle to under your running board, a corner bracket is made to attach to the running board. A hole is drilled in its hanging leg for the whistle's pipe bushing to pass through the hole to the whistle. The pipe bushing acts like a bolt to firmly attach the whistle to the bracket. See installation in the photo.

Attachments: 16 Mt Wagon in Laconner.jpg (59kB)  
Posted by: steve baldock (Moderator)
Date: June 8, 2012 03:15AM

Hi George

I'm making a small batch of whistles for the Model R's I'm doing. I had to get the brass tube especially made so I had to buy quite a bit. I'm not sure how they're going to sound as I've never made anything like this before but assuming they're okay you would be welcome to have one. I should get the first one made in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Steve

Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: June 8, 2012 03:27AM

Hi Steve,
How much would one be? Thank you for the klinger gauge and other parts you gave to us to help us get our car back on the road, it is much appreciated. Thanks again. George.

Posted by: steve baldock (Moderator)
Date: June 8, 2012 06:34AM

Hi George

Just sent you a PM

Regards

Steve

Date: June 14, 2012 08:31PM

A photo of how I mounted our whistle on our model 85.

Attachments: 1911 Stanley model 85 right side.jpg (129kB)  
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC