Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Locomobile burner
Posted by: beuvens (---.251-245-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be)
Date: August 30, 2012 05:02AM

Hello.
I run a 1900 Locomobile still working with an original type burner (maybe Ottaway) on wich the steam automatic is connected AFTER the vaporizer.
I would like to know from another Locomobile driver wich has the same arrangement :
- wich is the best : unleaded or hexane ? (With hexane, the burner keeps going a long time at stand still but seems to steam up more slowly.)
- at wich pressure ?
- is it a good idea to mix hexane and unleaded ?
I noticed that sometimes, when eveything is very hot, the flames are blue at the base only, the rest being orange : too much pressure ?
Any tips welcome.
Michel Beuvens (Belgium)

Re: Locomobile burner
Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: August 30, 2012 12:46PM

Hi Michel,
My Grandfather runs this arrangement with an Ottoway burner, I'll try and get you in contact with him, but he's at the Dorset steam fair until Sunday. If you send me an e-mail (see the committee members page) next week, I'll get you in contact with him. To answer your questions:
Straight Unleaded petrol is the best fuel to use with this arrangment.
We run the fuel pressure at 40PSI.
It is not a very good idea to mix hexane with unleaded.
Another suggestion is to make the jet smaller, a person with a Locomobile was having blow back troubles with too larger jet. The jet size is about 30 thou or a No. 70 drill. Sorry I don't know the metric equivelent, this is the size the owner who was having problems is using with, I believe, a single venturi. George Hounslow.

Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: August 30, 2012 12:53PM

Hi, the metric conversion is 0.76 mm to 2 decimal places. George.

Posted by: beuvens (---.76-245-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be)
Date: August 31, 2012 01:25AM

Hello.
Thanks for the reply, George.
I will send you an e-mail next week.
Michel Beuvens

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC