Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Re: Stanley Model K finished
Posted by: Ray White (95.150.70.---)
Date: January 9, 2013 02:16PM

Many thanks for that explanation, George. That is a beautiful restoration and if I am any judge, most of the work is hidden from view.

It must have been a labour of love.

Ray.

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 10, 2013 10:03AM

The model U engine with the first wet crankcase, had an akward access door directly over the stuffing boxes. There was no need to remove the model U engine cover to pull maintenance on the stuffing boxes. The U engine also had a drain petcock on the rear axle to drain off the day's accumlated water. The U engine was used in both the model U and the Model R Stanleys. The next year's 1910 engines with their front baffle plate were a great improvement for their stuffing box access.

Posted by: (Moderator)
Date: May 6, 2013 02:05PM

Vicki and I visited John Liming (Vicki's dad) today to give him his first run in the K. I'm getting it fairly well sorted but I believe I can still find a bit more performance. 60mph is no problem and the steam pressure stays between 575psi and 600psi, really the fire is just pulsing on and off.

Next step is to see what it will really do!

Basil

Attachments: rsz_dscf4282.jpg (94kB)  
Posted by: (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: June 27, 2013 04:56AM

Friday evening was beautiful so we steamed to the Norfolk Jaguar Drivers Club BBQ just 3 miles away at Felthorpe Flying Club with the Model K. There were hundreds of cars there of every age but as always a Stanley will draw the biggest crowd. They were particularly fascinated by it being silent when driven, apart from the occasional "chuff".

Basil explained how it worked for 2 hours until the prize giving, then found he had been awarded the pre-war trophy by The Norfolk Vintage and Thoroughbred Vehicle Club; the post-war trophy went to a stunning Jaguar SS kit car. The cars were voted for by the entrants and they voted for "The car I would most like to take home with me but not necessarily the most immaculate or original".

That's the 3rd trophy the K has won this month, it's very gratifying to find people are appreciating the finish on the car which in itself is a nice reward for Basil's hard work.

Vicki

Attachments: rsz_dscf4433.jpg (65kB)   rsz_dscf4452.jpg (57kB)   rsz_dscf4450.jpg (68kB)  
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC