Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Great Dorset Steam Fair 2006
Posted by: (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 5, 2006 12:45PM

The 2006 Great Dorset Steam Fair takes place from 30th August to 3rd September at Tarrant Hinton near Blandford Forum, Dorset. The organisers tell me that about 15 steam cars are currently entered for the show.

The organisers are aware that we have a Steam Car tour starting on Saturday 2nd September but they are adamant that all entries must be exhibited for all five days of the show. Those that leave early will not only forfeit any agreed expenses payments but may be denied an invitation to attend future shows.

This is an NTET approved rally which implies that NTET discs must be attached to all steam exhibits. Last year the Steam Car section was the least compliant in this respect. This year all steam exhibits are being checked against the master disc database prior to the start of the show and those that appear not to have been issued with a current disc may be prevented from putting the exhibit in steam. If your insurance company is not able to issue a NTET disk you should obtain one by sending your insurance and pressure system inspection papers together with a cheque for £10.00 made payable to ‘NTET’ to:

James Blenkinsop
Forge Cottage
Combrook
Warwick, CV35 9HP
Tel/Fax 01926 642016

The GDSF’s insurers also require that all exhibits have a written risk assessment, available for inspection, with which all those operating the equipment are familiar. If this presents a problem, let me know and I will send you a copy of the one that I have for my car.

I will be available on site from Sunday 27th August, protecting our modest patch from incursions, and would advise those attending to get there as early as possible, if they want a good pitch. The showground in normally virtually full, with the bars and catering functioning, by Monday evening.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Peter Williams

Re: Great Dorset Steam Fair 2006
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.brnt.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: July 5, 2006 05:09PM

PGOWilliams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> The organisers are aware that we have a Steam Car
> tour starting on Saturday 2nd September but they
> are adamant that all entries must be exhibited for
> all five days of the show. Those that leave early
> will not only forfeit any agreed expenses payments
> but may be denied an invitation to attend future
> shows.

Peter,

I am sure the GD Steam Fair is a wonderful event however I do not do static shows so will not be there. I am a great believer in using my car on the road rather than parking it up (even if paid to do so) for others to gawp at.

I don't doubt that the Club's presence at the Show is good for the Club and fun for the participants but if the organisers are so determined to force exhibitors to stay for the duration my personal view would be to say "Screw you"! However those who take the King's Shilling must do his bidding.

Mike

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07/05/06 05:10PM by Mike Clark.

Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 5, 2006 07:22PM

As a 'gawper' I have to defend GD Steam fair and it's like on two counts.

1) Eric Hughes willingness to attend 'static shows' and talk to the common man has bound to have been of great benefit to the steam cause. A short journey in Freddy converted me to the building of a steam car.

2) 'Gawpers' tend to have limited funds, therefore it's nice if on the day allocated for visiting there is actually something there to be seen. I was severely dissapointed at the poor turnout of exhibits at Pickering a couple of years ago.

Just a personal view.

Brian

Date: July 6, 2006 02:57AM

As the largest 'working' steam fair in the world, it is a little unfair to suggest that the GDSF is a static show. The problem for the organisers is that the public expect to see what is in the programme upon whatever day they choose to attend.

It is not everyone's cup of tea but for those who have been attending for many years the annual fix of a visit to 'Brigadoon' is quite important. As the the only National show in the country, it provides an opportunity to meet people from all over the land who one would not see otherwise.

I too prefer to use my bits on the road and ordinarily do not attend rallies but Dorset has to be an exception to this rule. The social side of the do is quite special.

Peter

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: July 6, 2006 05:29PM

I get your point Peter and Brian - I just have a rooted objection to being told what to do and don't like the attitude of some event organisers who think they are doing you a favour by letting you come.

I do think we must do what we can to keep steam cars in the public view, to explain them and retain public sympathy. Eric does a great job and travels a long way to do it. I tend to do this more in the wider old car circles rather than in the SCCGB and steam fairs where we are preaching to the converted.

It's a good thing we're not all the same.

Mike

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: July 6, 2006 06:50PM

Hi Peter and Mike,

I usually get in touch with the show organiser to explain that we will be driving to their show, so arrival time may vary, and depending on how long it takes to get there, a sensible departure time is needed, I refuse to go to any events where rules on what time you get there and what time you leave are stipulated.

I refuse to go to any events where an entry fee is asked for, as it has usually cost a considerable amount just to get there, I think to ask for an entry fee is a bit of a cheek.

I like to drive my cars to any event I am attending, and as we all know, when travelling by steam car, to say we are at a certain place at a certain time is almost impossible, to stay to late in the day is asking for trouble, getting caught out in the dark is no joke, as it always seems this is the moment the car will play up in some way or another, during daylight hours personal fog is bad enough, at night, its asking for trouble, last thing I want is to be rammed from the rear.

I enjoy the drive to and from a show, and when at a show enjoy talking to people about the wonders of steam cars, but there must be give and take between the owner and show organiser.

Regards, Jeff.

Date: July 7, 2006 03:53AM

To Mike and all the others that like to use their cars, here is an invitation.

For many years past a group of us have have had an 'outing' on the Tuesday before the show opens. We used to use an aged Dennis toast rack charabanc. For the past three years we have used the Mountain Wagon.

Our destinations vary but we normally try to get a picnic or a dip in the sea at either Studland or Worth Matravers. Our routes use the small lanes at the back of the Tarrants to avoid the show traffic and the return distance is about 70 miles.

We would be very happy to have some other steamers with us. So, if you can get to Dorset in time please come along and join the fun.

I too like to use my cars. The Mountain Wagon alone does about 1000 miles each year and I attend events run by the VCC and the VSCC using this and the CX. Dorset is special and actually the least disciplined and regulated rally of all. Its just the sheer size of it that takes some controlling.

Peter

Date: July 7, 2006 04:08PM

At last, a thread on our site to rival those in Traction Talk......

Mike recognizes that we must do what we can to keep steam cars in the public view, to explain them and retain public sympathy....

So wonder if there is some 'mileage' in arranging a SCCGB even to coincide with one of the 2007 Science Museum Wroughton open weekends, where working cars can be displayed to the public - on a site with 545 acres of WWII airfield complete with runways and perimeter roads avalble for those who want to run their cars. Site speed limit is 30mph though....

The stored Science Museum steam cars could also be made a little more accessible, with guided tours run to the storage hangars

See [www.sciencemuseum.org.uk]

Let me know

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.32.255.62.in-addr.arpa)
Date: July 7, 2006 05:05PM

Jeff - well put!

Peter T

I've never been to Wroughton so that would be a very good reason to do so - good idea.

Mike

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07/07/06 05:05PM by Mike Clark.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC