Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
London to Brighton 2012
Posted by: Michael Dyke (---.range81-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 7, 2012 04:53PM

Did anyone with a steamer go on the London to Brighton run this year? If so how did they get on, I gather the weather was pretty bad!

Mike Dyke.

Re: London to Brighton 2012
Posted by: (---.range86-139.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 9, 2012 06:03PM

It rained heavily overnight on Saturday and on Sunday the run started in torrential rain but by 8am Sunday morning it had turned to light rain and drizzle. By around 10am the rain had stopped and my wife Elaine and I went up to the steam car water/coffee stop at Salfords; there were massive puddles everywhere.

Stayed at Salford for an hour or so but there was not much going on only two steamers arrived before we left at around 11.15am to drive on down to Brighton but the sky was very overcast and when running down into the Marina Centre we could see the waves breaking against the harbour wall and shooting great plumes of water 20 or 30 feet into the air.

There were more than the normal amount of cars stopped on the roadside so presumably there were lots of 'water in the electrics' problems.

We got parked easily and as we walked from the Marina Centre onto the sea wall the wind hit us. It was difficult walking and the big waves breaking on the shingle were throwing up spray and obliterating the view of the landward end of the pier.
The Naturalist Beach was empty ---- hanging their tackle out in sunnier climes, perhaps.

It was just after noon and quite a few cars had arrived but many were just being loaded into their trailers and taken away rather than lining up along the front as they usually do.
At 1.30, as we had our lunch, the sky started clearing and the wind abating. We stayed near the finish line with the sun shining from a blue sky and warming our backs, the wind and waves having dropped considerably.
We noted a Locomobile, the Mobil, the Stanley and the two Whites arrive safely; the cars were now lining up rather than going home.

We left the finish line around 3pm to walk back to the Marina Centre pleased that the day had turned out much better that first expected.

According to the VCC website 449 cars started from Hyde Park and 77 didn’t make it to Brighton.
Of the steam cars 12 were listed to start but 2 were non starters, 5 retired and 5 finished.

Sorry no photos; camera playing up ---- 'water in the electrics' I suspect.

Best regards. John

Posted by: (---.range109-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 11, 2012 03:26AM

Mitch Grosse from New York took his 1903 White on the London to Brighton with his wife Wendy this year. He did it last year with Mike Ersland from Chikasha for his first Brighton Run.
He had a good run down overtaking many of the slower cars on the hills. His only problem came with a puncture when crossing the motorway into Brighton. Not the ideal place.
Mitch and Wendy came down to see me in Cornwall later in the week. Mitch makes many parts for Whites as he has one of all but one of the White models made but as yet does not use them very much. He keeps the 1903 White over here in England.
Bob Dyke

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 11/11/12 04:27AM by steamcarbob.

Posted by: Ray White (95.149.185.---)
Date: November 11, 2012 07:53PM

Hello, I am new to the forum but I have always wished I could do the Brighton run on a steamer. My hobby has always been vintage cars and I recently found what looks like an unfinished restoration of an early (Stanley type) locomobile advertised on the AACA "for sale" under the title of "basket case". The car has had some work done, mainly body, but the tubular chassis worries me. It has a 'bottle neck' shape towards the front which I am not sure is right. There are some parts missing so I will try to post the link so you guys can see what I mean.
[forums.aaca.org]

Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: November 12, 2012 02:14AM

Hi Ray, I've sent you a private message. George.

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 5, 2013 09:44PM

You Tube Videos of the 2012 London to Brighton Veteran Car Run can be found at:

London to Brighton Video 2012 - 26 minutes

London to Brighton Video 2010

I hope that the links work for you. As there were many cars on the tour, these videos are pretty long.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/08/13 05:42AM by alpinemauve.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC