Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Locomobile burner plate
Posted by: beuvens (---.56-245-81.adsl-dyn.isp.belgacom.be)
Date: January 7, 2013 03:47AM

Hello.
I wish to make a new burner plate for a Locomobile, same as original (see photograph on wanted ad) : wich material to use ? Steel ? Stainless steel ? Cast iron ? Wich specification ?
Thanks for any advice.

Re: Locomobile burner plate
Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: January 7, 2013 07:35AM

Hi Michel,
I would recommend 316 stainless steel, as this seems popular for people building ottoway-type burners. Be sure to make the air holes out of the same material, or the different expansion rates will cause leaks. If those air tubes start leaking, flames may shoot out of the bottom onto the road. Things then get quite exciting!
George Hounslow.

Re: Locomobile burner plate
Posted by: les nelson (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: January 8, 2013 06:57AM

Hi !! there are a number of reasons for choosing the 300 series of stainless steel not least of which is its' "weldability", but please get some proper lubricant for drilling you will find it is worth it's weight in gold as the drills will wear " like the clappers", most engineers tool suppliers will supply it in spray can aerosol, or in cans to be brushed on, tellem what its for, drill needs to doing about 1000 rpm ish. don't centre pop the holes as it will work harden the steel just were you want to drill it, when I make my burner plate drill about 200 holes and sharpen the drill with an oil stone and jewellers loupe (lens), I broke 4 drills in total and two of those were due to impatience moving the miller table too soon,as I "pitched out" the holes, commonly known as "jig boring", and only have the minimum amount of drill exposed , good luck Les

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC