Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Who will build me a 1 hp steam engine
Posted by: (---.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com)
Date: February 25, 2013 06:33AM

Hi, is there any one out there who would build me an efficient, lightweight 1 HP rotary,piston,or turbine steam engine ???? David

Re: Who will build me a 1 hp steam engine
Posted by: (---.range86-159.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 2, 2013 07:39AM

David,

If you have any basic DIY skills a bash valve engine is quite easy to make using a two stroke petrol engine from an old lawn mower or moped.

A bash valve can be made up from stainless steel screwed pipe fittings and fitted through the spark plug hole as shown here.

[www.steamcar.net]

Also a Stuart Turner Sirrus engine would do the job and these can sometimes be found for sale on ebay. This link shows a bike made by Richard Smith; I think there is also a video on youtube.

[www.stanleysteamers.com]

All the best for your project

John

Just a thought; what steam pressures are you hoping to use for the engine the reservoir charge pressure?

Posted by: (---.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 09:29AM

John, thank you for the links. I am a retired design engineer, and I am trying to get away from pipes a go- go. On the Island I live on it is very hard to get any engineering done. I think single cylinder engines are a waste of time. Regards. DAVID

Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-177.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 01:58PM

David,

The Stuart Sirius is a twin cylinder single acting enclosed engine; it was originally designed for racing steam hydroplanes. Particular attention was given to the valve gear and steam passage design with the result that the engine produces great power using a surprisingly low volume of steam. Tests have shown that running at 2800 rpm the engine produces 1/3 bhp. at 80 psi. All this from an engine with a 1 inch bore and 1 inch stroke. Do you have to have 1 h.p?

Are you by any chance the same David Royal that had a vintage car restoration business in Staindrop, Co.Durham?

Don

Posted by: (---.range86-139.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 05:59PM

David,

I thought that re-cycling an old petrol engine and using plumbing fittings would appeal to your 'Friend of the Earth' objectives, plus there would not be any need for sophisticated machining facilities.

As you don’t like single cylinder engines then you could couple two old strimmer engines together incorporating a chain sprocket in the drive coupling.

John

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 03/11/13 01:11PM by John Barnard.

Posted by: (---.28.9.137.manx.net)
Date: March 16, 2013 10:36AM

Don, the most sensible thought so far. I found when developing an electric bicycle, that to get up hills you needed at least 3/4 horsepower. That's why I said I required one HP. HOWEVER if I could link 3 of these stuart sirrius engines it would make sense. Can I buy these engines anywhere??? Thanks David

No connection to Co. Durham

Posted by: (---.range86-182.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 16, 2013 03:37PM

David,

Stuart Models still supply the Sirrius engine but although they offer finished and machined kits for some of their engines the Sirrius only appears to be supplied as castings.

John

Link here [www.stuartmodels.com]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/16/13 06:45PM by John Barnard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC