Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Useful sources of supply for steam car stuff
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.winn.dial.virgin.net)
Date: December 9, 2004 04:21PM

Useful sources of supply for steam car stuff.

Can I suggest we start a thread on UK sources of supply for steam car stuff - this would be a very useful function for the Phorum which will not compete with the two US sites which we all read. I’ll kick off and others can follow with their own suggestions as replies to my post - that way it will all build up in one thread and not be scattered through the Phorum.

Mike Clark

Re: Useful sources of supply for steam car stuff
Date: December 9, 2004 04:22PM

Joint sealant

I have been looking for the old brown coloured shellac smelling Green Hermatite which is so good for sealing steam joints - I hear it is still made but can’t find anyone who admits to selling it. However I have just found what seems to be an identical product by the name of “Heldite” jointing Compound and made by Heldite Limited, Bristow Road, Hounslow, Middlesex TW3 1UP. Phone 020-8577 9167. Sold in 250ml cans for about £7 by heating engineer’s suppliers.

Mike Clark

Posted by: (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2004 05:11PM

How about a psychiatric counselling service for anyone thinking about buying a steam car, and a financial advisory service for anone rash enough to actually buy one.....

Think I've found a coachbuilder to do Stanley 7644's body, there goes all hope of a Series III Landrover Discovery next year I think!

Posted by: Bryan Richmond-Dodd (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 29, 2004 01:45PM

The simplest and very effective jointing medium was introduced to me some years ago by an old steam engineer who said it was extensively used in loco practice on any joints which need to be steamtight but also release when needed for repair.

The "Black Gunge" is made by taking about half a pint of good steam cylinder oil and gently stirring into it fine flaked graphite until it is good and thick.It keeps forever in a sealed jar and never fails to seal and the joints break easily with normal handling-and it is cheap.

Date: January 1, 2005 05:10PM

Another question - does anyone know of a source for 5/16th 20 G copper tube in long lengths for use in a smoke hood economiser? I am looking for about 25 metres in one length.

Mike

Posted by: john saunders (---.58.7.107.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 4, 2005 12:09PM

HI
YOU will get 5/16 copper tube in long lenths from refridgeration
people. look in yellow pages.
ALL THE BEST JOHN.

Posted by: john saunders (---.58.7.107.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: January 4, 2005 12:09PM

HI
YOU will get 5/16 copper tube in long lenths from refridgeration
people. look in yellow pages.
ALL THE BEST JOHN.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC