Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
How many UK Stanleys before preservation years
Posted by: SUPER7591 (---.range86-137.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 3, 2013 07:58AM

On Wednesday evening I gave a talk to the Pickering Experimental Engineering and Model Society on the development of the Stanley and the running of my Model M. Being an engineering group there were some interesting questions and they were amazed at the complexity of lighting up and running a Stanley. Many of them taking away the clubs business cards, for future reference. One interesting question for which I didn’t have an answer, ‘how many Stanley’s were running in the UK before preservation ? - I did mention the dealerships in the UK and the fact that some bodies were fitted here, has anyone any idea or estimation how many ran in this country during the production years and after?
Harold Bell

Re: How many UK Stanleys before preservation years
Posted by: (---.as43234.net)
Date: May 3, 2013 05:33PM

In the concluding paragraph of 'Nails and Steam Cars' by Mervyn Brown, Veteran and Vintage Magazine November 1963 page 78, 80 and 85, an estimate of from 160 to 360 cars imported by Galloways of Gateshead alone is mentioned.

However no records survived, so this is clearly very much a guess, and does not include any other agencies, such as the one in Manchester.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC