Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
How far can a Stanley go in one day?
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.manc.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: August 29, 2006 05:44PM

The Stanleys famously said - on being told their car had too small a range - "nobody would want to go more than thirty miles in a day anyway"

My question is what is the greatest distance anyone has driven a Stanley in one day? My own longest day is a rather unimpressive 130 miles. Perhaps there should be categories for non condensing like mine, and for condensing cars.

Mike

Re: How far can a Stanley go in one day?
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: August 29, 2006 06:36PM

Hi Mike,

We managed a similar distance in the Brooks a few years ago running down to Devon, I would think the steam car owners in the states will claim the highest mileage, but their roads are not like ours, one American visitor was heard to say.... "You sure got some steep hills here, and a bit stingy with the tarmac!!"

Jeff.

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 30, 2006 07:00PM

We have driven our 1914 Stanley 10 hp roadster a couple times between 160 to 175 miles a day. The 175 mile day was in Colorado on a progressive tour. You either drove the distance or you didn't have a bed to sleep in that night. The 160 mile tour was a HCCA big car tour from Calgary, Alberta to Banff and back again by the back roads. We have steep hills here in the states also, but we have enough other road choices that we can usually avoid the the steep hills. We don't mind the steep rolling hills, it is the long steep grades that will quickly do in your water supply.

Posted by: (---.range86-131.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 31, 2006 05:01PM

Hello Steamers
In our Stanley 735 we traveled from Chinon France to Cherbourg 260 Miles in 12 hrs Poole to Tiverton 84 Miles Total 344 Miles in 21 hrs ALL this without a pilot Largest bang in Honiton at 2 am .

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.manc.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: September 1, 2006 03:17PM

Wow!

How far does it go between watering Gerry?

Mike

Posted by: (---.range86-131.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 1, 2006 04:29PM

Hello Mike
On a cool day about 130 Miles Warm day about 50 60 No extra fans used
Gerry

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2006 08:09AM

Hi All,

We have found that our 1911 Stanley 85 can keep up a good enough speed to venture onto the Motorway, the trip to and from the New Forest Tour was 140 miles, starting with a full water tank (40 gallon's), we needed two stops for water each way.

Jeff.

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 11, 2006 12:54AM

Our 1916 Stanley model 826 Mt. Wagon (30 hp) gets about the same water milage. It carrys 80 U.S. gallons of water and it travels about 40 miles on that with a little water left over to spare. (1/2 mpg) By traveling at 30 mph rather than at 50 mph, my water mileage will greatly improve by about 15%. On kerosene, I had been getting poor mileage of about 5 mpg at 50 mph. Yesterday, touring on a one and two cylinder tour, at 30 mph I used about 7 mpg of kerosene over a 30 mile run. I topped it at the start of the run. At the end, I could only put 4 gallons of kerosene into the tank. Presently, there is a lot of steam getting by the rings. If I was to put new rings in the engine, I am sure that my mileages would improve.

Posted by: (---.dsl.ip.tiscali.nl)
Date: October 31, 2006 02:16PM

My longest trip on one day with our 735B was about 240 km this was during the "Elfsteden tocht" The vintage car reenactment of the famoud eleven citties speedscating tour in Friesland. QWe were the first steamcar that had ever finished this tour it took us eleven hours to complete due mainly to nine watering stops (about half a ton) and two involuntary stops due to low boilerwater level. About 400 cars and 150 motorcycles participate each year.
see also:
[www.elfstedenoldtimerrally.nl]

Arnoud Carp

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC