Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Re: locomobile surrey
Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: July 15, 2013 02:46AM

Hi Jake,
From Don Ball's Geneology of the Locomobile (Avaliable from the Stanley Museum for about $8 I think) there were three surrey's a Style No.5 (Spindle-seat) a a Style No.05 (Panel Back), both of these avaliable from 1900-2. In 1902-3 there was a "Special Surrey" which had wooden artillery wheels, a curved front and an 16"/18" boiler and burner depending on model year, as well as the larger 3"x4" engine. You are probably interested in the Style No.5, which specification is as follows:
Seating Capacity:4 Passengers
Wheels:28 inches in Diameter;steel spokes.
Tires: 2 1/2" single tube pneumatics
Tread: 4ft 6"
Weight empty: 800 pounds
Weight, tanks filled:1020 pounds
Capacity of fuel tank: 6 1/2 gallons
Capacity of water tank: 21 gallons
Extreme length: 8ft 5 1/2"
Extreme width: 4ft 10 3/4"
Extreme Height: 5ft 3 1/2"
Seats: Spindle Back

From 1902 the car was fitted with a 3:1 gear ratio, obviously the earlier ratio of 2.5:1 ( as on the smaller cars) was found to be a little high. All infomation from Donald Ball's Geneology of the Locomobile.

Rolly,
Having looked in Kit Foster's book P.86 and Don Ball's book, you are referring to the 6-9 passenger Wagonette produced in 1902. The same photo appears on the front of Don Ball's book. The car had one seat facing forward and two longitudinal seats facing each other, although unclear in the photo. It had a 3x4 engine, 16" boiler and burner, a 81/2 gallon fuel tank and a 42 gallon water tank. As well as 2 differential brakes, there were two hub brakes on the rear wheels. Burner flue exists on side of body below seats. Locomobile acquired a patent on the body! Again, all infomation courtesy of Donald Ball's Geneology of the Locomobile, an excellent book which I recommend to all Locomobile owners.
George.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07/15/13 02:47AM by Old timer.

Posted by: (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2013 05:35PM

I'm waiting for the insurance, before I can start. Then it will come apart and I will make new side frame tubes, Not sure what type of steel was used for the tubes, but I was thinking of using chrome moly steel. Not sure if this is overkill. Since its going to be longer I thought it was a good idea.

Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 07:12PM

Great stuff, that would be my choice, can’t beat 4130, 63,100 yield.
Rolly

Posted by: (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2013 07:11AM

looks like that's the way to go with 4130 I will be ordering it next week. I will post on the rebuild as it progresses.

Posted by: HarryHibler (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 15, 2014 05:13PM

In case you haven't finished your reach rods for the surrey, I have a detailed drawing of how the the original Locomobile reach rods were made with swivel joints. I was disappointed that Modelworks didn't include that swivel detail in the Likamobile after sending them a copy of the drawing before they started that project.

If you would like a copy of the drawing, send me your email address.

Harry Hibler

Posted by: (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 17, 2014 07:00PM

This is the latest on the car. The insurance company totaled the car and sent me the money minus the scrap value. I keep the car and the title is clean. I just got the money this past Nov. Now I'm collecting info on the surrey and will start the rebuild this spring. The car is now being disassembled and more damage is showing up. There is more bent and broken items, you can't believe how much got bent. One mistake I made was the value I had the car insured for. My thinking was the car would only be transported in an enclosed trailer and used very limited so what could happened. Next time it will be double in value.

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC