Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Chairman's resignation
Posted by: Alun Griffiths (2.27.128.---)
Date: July 12, 2013 06:07AM

I regret that I have to inform the members that Basil Craske has resigned as Chairman of the SCCofGB. Basil's statement will be published in the October edition of the Steam Car. For further information, please contact me on hofren@hotmail.com
Alun Griffiths, Club Secretary

Re: Chairman's resignation
Posted by: Old timer (86.112.62.---)
Date: July 12, 2013 03:26PM

what a shocker! I will remember the great amount of time Basil spent dealing with the fall-out from the G15 and the personal attacks he had to endure, along with others. The club needed someone with great drive and strength to move the club forward, I feel Basil provided this and raised the worldwide profile of the club making it stronger, which benefits all members, surely?

His experience of motorsport and our hobby proving invaluable when we needed to assure certain event organisers that we are safe and provide great fun at their venues.

For me, I found someone prepared not only to provide advice but to get involved in importing and fitting my boiler, providing the hospitality of his home and garage, how many chairmen, and their wives, could or would go this extra mile for people?

I also appreciate that Basil would take the time to talk to my son, George enhancing his appreciation and love for Steam Cars and introducing him to many overseas steam lovers. He is better known than me and receives many more calls/e-mails than I, and he is not 16 yet!

Can the club afford to loose such people? We must support such stalwarts of our hobby or suffer from the ignorance of other.

I hope it will be possible to persuade Basil (and Vicki) to resume their previous roles and keep the Club moving forward to a stronger position.

Posted by: Michael Dyke (---.range86-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 12, 2013 04:03PM

Peter,

I fully agree with all your comments, and also hope that whatever problems there are can be sorted out and Basil can resume his excellent work as chairman.

Mike Dyke.

Posted by: steve baldock (Moderator)
Date: July 12, 2013 05:35PM

Devastating news. I've only been a member of the club for a short time, just over three years but I am a member because of Basil. He has been extraordinary generous with his time, patience, knowledge and his enthusiasm for steam cars is very infectious. He even took the wings off his Model 70 so I could use them as a pattern. Who else would do that?

He has always sung the virtues of the SCCGB and from the little I've seen has always given 150%.

This is a very sad day indeed and I'm sure that the club will be very much poorer without Basils involvement. There must be a way sorting this out.

Regards

Steve

Posted by: alpinemauve (Moderator)
Date: July 12, 2013 06:08PM

I assume the resignation has not been accepted? It is now the role of the committee and the members of the club to ensure arguably one of the clubs greatest assets is not lost.

Basils enthusiasm for Steam is matched only for his enthusiasm for the Steam Car Club. His infectious approach is always for the good of the club and any decision he has made has been solely for the clubs benefit.

Those who have seen Basils' cars will be aware of his exceptionally high standards and it is these high standards that he wishes to see for all elements of the club and if these standards are not maintained then, as both chairman and club member, he is entitled to raise his concerns.

I am sure there are numerous 'behind the scenes' talks ongoing and I look forward to a more positive outcome enabling the Chairman of the club to continue with his work.

SCCGB Website Designer

Posted by: les nelson (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: July 15, 2013 06:12AM

What a SHOCK I am sure our Basil has not taken his descision lightly and has good reason for resigning, but I would like to echo the sentiments mentioned above, I know he has been a TOP CLASS ambassador for the club working relentlesly to promote and improve the club, at no little cost to both of them (Vicky) in time and EFFORT and cost, WHO EVER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS SITUATION I hope you/they can sleep at night as this not what we expected , I thought perhaps Basil might retire at next AGM and I was intending to propose he be made a life member, if anyone deserves it he positively does. I think we should stop "pussy footing" around and get things out in the open BECAUSE whatever the reasons for the descision when/if Basil goes the situation remains and it should not!!! I still live in hope that a solution can be found and would expect it to come from the committee, and as a last comment and with no intention to offend anyone we will have to look long and hard to find someone to fill his shoes, If you do go Basil and Vicky you take our most sincere thanks and our door will always be open to you
Les & Pat Nelson

Posted by: esmo (---.as13285.net)
Date: July 15, 2013 04:25PM

I was both shocked and saddened when I heard about Basil's resignation from the club.
As we all know he has put an enormous amount of time, effort and money into getting the club into the premier position it is today.

He is very generous in giving time, knowledge and spare parts and seems to be able to source almost anything that is required in a restoration and I am personally very appreciative of his help with my car, these words are echoed by everyone that one speaks to both in the UK and abroad. His meticulous attention to detail is evident in his cars and in overseeing the Club during his time as Chairman.

We ALSO need to thank Vicki for her input into the club we know their lives revolve around Steam Cars and The Club, from personal experience ones other half plays an invaluable behind the scenes support role (Vicki - tours, badges, magazine sales etc).

How the HELL did we get to this situation, I joined during the 'nastiness' resulting in the split. For the sake of stability in the club this situation needs to be sorted out by the committee and let us get on and enjoy our hobby.

I would hope that a way forward can be found and Basil would be able to resign at the AGM (maybe!) and become a lifelong member as Les suggested. If this is not possible then THANKYOU both and look forward to some splendid steamy days in Norfolk

Dudley Watts

Edited 4 times. Last edit at 07/15/13 04:45PM by esmo.

Posted by: Ray White (---.range86-153.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 16, 2013 08:51AM

I have only just joined the Club and know nothing about the problems which may have caused Basil to resign.

Please could someone send me a p.m. with an explanation?

Thank you.

Ray.

Posted by: (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: July 20, 2013 03:43PM

Open Letter to Basil and Committee Members
July 18, 2013

Dear Basil: Thank you for your very informative email. I am sorry that the situation became so untenable that you and Vicki could no longer stay in the Club. I respect your decision but know that you will be sorely missed by so many people and by the Club as an organization.

An organization that is going to survive and be exciting requires a special person at the helm. There are very few people who have the “push”, energy, and creative ideas to make an organization great. You are one of these rare gifted individuals! Leaving the Club is going to leave a big hole in leadership. It probably will not be filled.

All organizations are entropic – they naturally tend to “decay”, If there is not someone providing “negative entropy”, working to reverse this tendency, the Club will wither and decline in stature. Your supply of negative entropy will be greatly missed.

I fear the Club, magazine, and website will slowly slide down-hill without your enthusiasm, drive, and knowledge. All activities need to be supervised. If they are going in the wrong direction a manager (Committee Chairman) must be allowed and required to make the changes to make it right! No sub group should operate independently from the whole organization! In our Club the Committee Chairman derives his power from the membership and his fellow Committee Members.

You were the perfect “boss” to get me going in the American Steamers project. I enjoyed your stated direction and great ideas. Many other projects were (are) in the pipeline. With you gone they will probably die.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help out in this situation. I will do my best to keep the American Steamers going strong. I stand ready to continue to serve the Steam Car Club of Great Britain.

As a Committee Member and the American Representative I suggest that Basil remain not only in the Club but, as Committee Chairman. I vote not to accept his resignation. When other Committee members really give it some thought the only logical action is to keep Chairman Craske and discuss the solution to these immediate problems.

Tom Dawson
American Representative
U.S.A.

Posted by: (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 21, 2013 12:00PM

Tom's comments about strong leadership are spot on. I know nothing about the current issue and Basil's resignation, other than what has appeared in this thread, which hints of some sort of internal politics. History has shown us that such is an unavoidable accompaniment to a club, which is why I'm glad that steam car activities in the US do not primarily take place under the auspices of any club. The divisive and exlusionary power of such organizations is capable of, at best, diluting, and at worst, outweighing their benefits as servers of a community of hobbyists.

So I hope that Basil can continue his tireless and capable contributions to the hobby in England and around the world. But to follow up on Tom's thoughts - eventually there will be a valid reason for Basil to retire. I'm sure there is no desire for the Club to disintegrate at that time, either. This means that it is important to be grooming the next strong leader while Basil is still a part of the group. Then, at the appropriate time, leadership can change in a seamless manner, without any hesitation or deterioration in the Club's health.

Basil, I've enjoyed the communication and live conversation that we've had, and I look forward to your continuing participation in the hobby at the same high level that we have come to appreciate.

Kelly

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC