Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
12v electrics
Posted by: fowlerfrank (---.range86-149.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 19, 2013 06:47AM

Hi everybody
my 750 has knackered 6v electrics (all the wiring burnt out when i put a battery on it i suspect it all shorted back thro the dynamo ) can anybody who has converted to12v tell me how they did it and what type of dynamo (or alternator) they used as the Stanley one runs in reverse direction to any comercialy available dynamo and people i have asked say it wont charge if I run a modern one in reverse ?? anybody out there who can check and or repair a 6v 3brush dynamo ?? i would prefer to go to 12v as the amperage is a lot less and light bulbs are easier to come by and the 6v sparker decimates any nearby radios !( I have a gas pilot ) I shall be replacing all the wiring as it appears to consist of "American" house wiring with twisted together taped joints !!! I am not an electrician but i have a certain amount of knowlege so any help would be appreciated Thanks
yours Frank

Re: 12v electrics
Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2013 08:13AM

Most alternators will generate in either direction. Low RPM alternators are available and any good repair shop can convert one to generate at lower RPM’s
I used a Belmar marine alternator made for small one lung marine engines for my steam boat, but when I converted my 1920 Stanley I had a automobile one converted to generate at a very low RPM. I could get 35 amps at 15 MPH.
Rolly

Attachments: alternator.JPG (187kB)   engine.JPG (196kB)  
Date: July 21, 2013 12:03PM

Frank
I was looking for my catalog on wiring and finely found it. The correct type of wire can be obtained from Rhode Island wiring Service. You should be using armored wire see attached web site. Go to supplies on the left column and when opened click on Steel Armored Primary Wire.

Rolly
[www.riwire.com]

Posted by: fowlerfrank (---.range109-149.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 22, 2013 09:05AM

Hi Rolly
Thanks
have just found a website (eurolec components trading as powerlite ) that does alternators hidden inside dynamo casings and am invesigating will keep everybody posted ,the nearest one is a C40 slightly smaller in dia (1/2") but about the same length so will not look too out of place only problem might be the drive as i have the origional simms coupling still. i was going to use black corragated plastic trunking so thanks for the wire site
ATB
Frank

Date: July 22, 2013 10:15AM

Frank if your looking for one that looks round like the original 6V generator look at the ones on Harley Division motor cycles or some of the other makes. The problem is there expansive and you still need to have them reworked to generate at a lower RPM.
Another thing I forgot to mention is some of the cars had a fiber gear on the drive head and if so should be replaced with a bronze or steel one. Several I have worked on were bronze.
Not sure about the 740. I like the look of the C40 you need to check on the generating RPM/amps and the gears of your rearend.

Attached photo is one I set up for a non condensing rear end.

Rolly

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07/22/13 10:32AM by Rolly.

Attachments: finished set. .JPG (179kB)  
Posted by: fowlerfrank (---.range109-149.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 24, 2013 07:39AM

Hi Rolly and anybody else
well the good news is that i have a 9 tooth steel gear , however, Dynalite have replied yes they could do it BUT they would want nearly £1000 (GB£) (+our VAT = £1250 ) to do a "special" and they are still talking of wanting to use a gearbox or pulleys to get the speed as their normal Dynalite alternator charges at approx 2500 RPM as "REWIRING CAN BE PROBLEMATICAL" (their words ), so probably no guarentees, i get the feeling they do not really want to do it !so i have left it for the minuit , Basil tells me you are based in the USA which probably accounts for the number of places that can or are prepared to rewire an alternator he says i will struggle to find anywhere here in the UK to do anything like reworking an alternator / dynamo SO IF ANYBODY OUT HERE IN THE UK KNOWS DIFFERENT PLEASE LET ME KNOW .So in the meantime i shall just use a big battery and avoid driving at night ,and carry on looking and experimenting .
Yours
Frank

Date: September 24, 2013 08:42AM

Frank
Go look for alternators used on single cylinder marine engines.
If your car is a condensing model the engine should have a 40 tooth gear and the rear end a 60 tooth gear. At 10 MPH the alternator will be turning 659 RPM at 20 MPH 1318 RPM. You want an alternator that will at least make 10 amp at 1000 rpm. You may also look and see if you can find some Model Tee guys, I met a man at Hershey that converts alternator to low RPM for the Model Tee guys.
Rolly

Posted by: Brian McMorran (---.as43234.net)
Date: September 24, 2013 02:43PM

Hello Frank

£1000 is a bit extreme, I would expect around £250
Narrow-boat people have the same problem and they can get 12v and 24v alternators to drive from low speed diesel engines running from 200 to 1200rpm.
A quick search on Ebay and other forums gave the following potential suppliers;

ATP Electronic Developments Ltd. Cannock 01543427900
Ed Shiers Stafford 07922 163072
G E Middleton in City Road, Manchester 0161 872 8409

Or you could try this DIY guide to build a permanent magnet alternator;
[digitalcommons.calpoly.edu]

Brian

Posted by: fowlerfrank (---.range86-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 27, 2014 01:09PM

Hi there Rolly, Brian and everybody else
As usual once you start digging you find the answer on your doorstep ( they are only 20 miles away ) , the Sentinal Waggon boys have a similar problem ie direct drive low revs Etc,so thanks to John ,Justin & grant Goold i now have a suitable "old stock brand new unused " govt surpless 12V dynamo that fits the cradle exactly and dosent look out of place, all i have to do is make a new drive coupling and i am in business ( once i finish mending everything else ) ,have run it up on a makeshift test rig using a reversable electric drill and it works fine .
Many thanks again to everybody for your help and sugestions
Yours
Frank

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC