Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley condensing steamer
Posted by: (---.112.96.58.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: July 27, 2013 12:58PM

Gday,

Im having an issue with a stanley boiler unit and I am open for suggestions, the main problem is I have a vapour leak down the thread of the needle adjuster on the pilot flame.I can seal it with a high temperature proof thread sealant but as soon as I have to adjust it it breaks this seal and the vapour leaks around igniting the main burners from the external. I need to adjust the pilot needle because I believe the vaporizing tube is to long, it is 145mm long with a 35mm gap and this creates to big a carbon build up after it has been burning for to long.

Im wondering if anyone has come up with a better solution for sealing this adjustable thread?

thankyou
kyle

Re: Stanley condensing steamer
Posted by: Mike L Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 27, 2013 03:30PM

Ideally you should have a plain unthreaded part of the needle valve spindle where it goes through the gland nut so that the gland packing is not chewed up each time you screw the needle in or out but many don't bother to make it that way (me included!) and with a packing made from some of that graphited string wound around the valve spindle it can work fine. Question is do you have a gland nut in place to tighten onto the packing?
Mike

Date: July 27, 2013 07:44PM

At the moment no, I don't have a gland nut on it, but I think I will definately try this method,
Thank you I hadn't come across graphited string before.

Date: July 27, 2013 07:59PM

sorry I just re thought that and I do have the gland nut, its just the thread has been to loose, so the graphite string should fix this.

Date: July 27, 2013 11:27PM

Also what is the length of your atomizing tube, mine is 145mm long with a the loop being 35mm apart, I was wondering if this is too long as im getting a large build up of carbon on the needle valve?

Posted by: Mike L Clark (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 28, 2013 04:02PM

By graphited string I mean the packing material which is made from some form of asbestos replacement so it can tolerate heat.

When you say 145mm is that the total length of the loop or of each leg? 145 for the whole thing isn't far off. Does the loop have a braided wire inside to reduce the fuel volume in the loop and make the fuel pass through more quickly? Ideally the vapouriser loop for the pilot should not become very red hot - this is what carburises the fuel. Sometimes it helps if the flame slots/holes are blocked up in the area where the loop turns back on itself if that bit seems to be getting too hot.

Mike

Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2013 04:51PM

What kind of pilot are you talking about? An original Stanley pilot does not have a packing gland on adjustment screw to clean the nozzle hole where the wire passes through. Just a coned seat.

Are you talking a Maxwell pilot or a Packard pilot?

Rolly

Date: July 28, 2013 06:11PM

Yes I still had to look into what kind of packing material I could get to use,

Each leg of the tube is 145mm long, so talking a total distance of about 340mm, and no the tube doesn't have a braided wire in it, this was suggested to me by someone else too.

I'm not sure what kind of pilot it is then, I will have to take some smaller file sized photos today, after a quick look I think it is a Packard pilot.

Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2013 06:50PM

What model and year car is it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC