Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Re: Oil line failure - it could be you
Posted by: Mark Drake (62.189.28.---)
Date: December 5, 2013 07:04AM

Hi Kelly,

How's things? Good I hope. The hose I used was a custom made HEL brake hose from a UK supplier:

[www.customhoses.co.uk]

I'm sure there are similar suppliers in the US.

These guys can provide UNF threaded unions at each end included in the price and also any mounting scheme that you might need, they also put a 90 degree adaptor on one end to suit my installation.

The hose I used was 2 ft long and installed in a 'C' shape, with a big rubber grommet to support the middle section. I used about 9" of 1/4 steel pipe at the hot end to ensure that no heat crept back up the hose, especially when stopped after a long run.

These hoses are designed to be flexible and for very higher pressures, much higher than we are likely to reach; so I considered it to be a good choice. The important thing is to ensure that it can't get too hot. Anyway I'll monitor it with care! It's got to be better than relying on a coiled section of metal pipe.

@ Harold - Cotswolds... try to stop me!

Cheers,

Mark

Posted by: (---.armstrong.com)
Date: December 5, 2013 12:21PM

Going well, thanks. I got a similar hose made last year, but was worried about the heat and I'm still using the coiled copper. Cool oil would be pumped through the hose while the car is in motion, but I had the same concern about heat soak when stopped for a while. Your 9" pipe would surely provide enough radiation surface to get the temp down at the flex hose.

Kelly

Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-143.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 8, 2013 09:23AM

Its good news that your 740 Roadster is up and running again, it’s a shame it happened just before the three counties tour, it being the only official tour that was within driving distance for you. I hope you and your family enjoyed your brief visit to the tour – all be it carless.

Don

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 9, 2013 01:25PM

Forget the braided flex line. It will be just one more thing to go wrong. The heat is the flex line's biggest problem. Keep it simple and do as I said above."Change out your 5/16" copper oil line to 1/4" steel brake lines and your future oil line problems will be much reduced. At the point where the steel brake line attaches to your steam line, it should also have a coil in the oil line to allow for steam line's flex and vibration." This was a Carl Amsley fix and he knew what he was doing. Anyone listening?

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC