Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Help with car
Posted by: Mike (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: August 21, 2015 07:19AM

I have brought a Stanley 606 Roadster.
I have had a few problems, Pilot light, fual control valve and wire in main burner. Does anyone have a maintainace list of what should be done and when?
I am in the Chichester area and would like to contact any member to discuss my car.

Mike Tuck
Treasurer &
Membership Secretary

Re: Help with car
Posted by: Old timer (86.112.221.---)
Date: August 21, 2015 11:41AM

Hi Mike,
Send me an email and I will try and help. The remedies depend on what are your exact problems with the pilot light, fuel control valve and wire in main burner. If you could include the exact problems in your email it will make helping you easier. My email address is george.steam@live.co.uk
Best Wishes
George

Date: August 21, 2015 12:27PM

Hi George,

Pilot light was full of carbon, Removed and cleaned, works OK now.
Q. How often should this be done?

Diaphragm was split in fuel shut off valve, replaced but having trouble setting right cut off pressure.

Main jet blocked, (no fuel) removed wire, trouble cleaning tube. Also how often should this be done?

Posted by: Old timer (86.112.221.---)
Date: August 21, 2015 01:17PM

Hi Mike,
We clean our pilot when we start having trouble-if it isn't broken, don't fix it! You will notice at times that the pilot will become weaker-both from sound and from the way it looks-if there is no improvement by opening the pilot fuel tap more, the pilot needs cleaning.

Fuel shut of valve-there is adjuster in the form of a gland on the steam side of the valve, if you screw this up tighter, the pressure at which the fire shuts of will increase.

To clean the vapouriser tube, when cold, remove jets and place a tray in front of the venturis and the main jets, and, with jets removed, open the main or starter fuel valve to blow fuel through and thus the carbon out. The wire can be cleaned with a wire brush. Following this procedure, the jets may block up a couple of times on the next run out-there is often small bits of carbon dislodged during this procedure which get left in the vapouriser and carried through with the next on rush of fuel.

Alternatively, you could fit a steam enema, this is a steam line that goes from the boiler to the fuel entry point of the vapouriser, and when the tap is opened cleans the vapouriser out with steam. You will need to follow the tray procedure as above. It is important to have two taps fitted in the line, as if steam leaks into the vapouriser, carbon production will increase. Fit one tap either right near the boiler or on the bulkhead, and one right where you fit your enema steam line into the vapouriser. If there is not one on the latter, or a non-return valve, the line will fill with fuel right up to the bulkhead valve, and pulsing of the fire occur.

I hope this makes some sense!
Best Wishes
George

Date: August 21, 2015 02:11PM

Hi George,

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Mike

Posted by: Peter Turvey (---.as43234.net)
Date: August 22, 2015 08:01AM

I have written an operating guide for my Model 607, if you private message me your email I can send you a copy. Pilot light - we always use Hexane, burns far cleaner than anything else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC