Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Re: Anyone plan on running their cars over the Christmas break ?
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2006 06:38PM

Hi Ian,

I see that your boiler did it again, have you tried a leak stopper? I was told this by a very well known boiler maker, and it has worked for me, get yourself three or four cans of Commer "Radweld", or a make of radiator sealer, Not "Bars Leaks" or the type with bits in. Mix into a bucket of hot water, syphon or pump the whole lot into an emty boiler, stiring all the time, let it stand for an hour or so, top up with water until it just shows in the glass, fire up, keep the fire low!! raise 100psi, wait an hour, fire again to 200psi, wait an hour, with the car jacked up, fire again and get her running slowly, pumping water to the correct level, let her come up to full pressure, and shut down burner, let her stand for an hour or so, then fire her up and give her another try, I have found this to work successfully, the Brooks boiler has been tight for three years since this treatment, being pumped to 800psi each year for its test, and still dry. hope this helps, all the best, Jeff.

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.brhm.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: December 28, 2006 05:28PM

Jeff,

Have you tried "Celit". I've used this for years in my 1925 Salmson and it works very well as a sealant. It comes in small foil packets and is a grey flakey powder material which you add to a cold radiator and then just drive the car.

Mike

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2006 06:44PM

Hi Mike,

I have only used Radweld, as this was the original recommendation, we used this on the 10hp car in France, considering how badly burnt the boiler was it has held out long enough to keep the car in use until the new boiler arrived.
There must be other compounds that will work just as well, all the best, Jeff.

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC