Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
What is a reasonable distance per day for a steam car tour
Posted by: Ian Vinton (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 20, 2006 04:59PM

Just watched the Midland Meander DVD for the one hundreth time (just envious as I am still trying to get mine to do more than 30 miles before it falls apart).
So here is a question for everyone what distance constitutes a reasonable and enjoyable daily mileage for a tour. The Midland meander ranged (so I believe) between 40 and 80 miles per day, was 80 too much or not enough ? At a cruising speed of 30 mph that is only 2 hours 20 minutes, allowing for lunch make it 3 hours on the road.

It would be intersted to hear people opinions as I intend within the next three years to organise a Yorkshire tour based from my farm which has camping facilties.

Other questions I have are:
Should there be some steep hills ?
Steady pace through Country Lanes or crack on, on the A roads ?

One day I will make more than 30 miles in one year, who knows ??

Regards
Ian V

Re: What is a reasonable distance per day for a steam car tour
Posted by: Ian Vinton (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 20, 2006 05:06PM

Another thought is should there be two routes per day per the 50th anniversary for the National Traction Engine Trust. They has a short, less ardious route for the slower steam vehicles and a harder, longer route for the faster ones.
Would it be beneficial to have two routes with the lunchtime meeting point at the same place, so that people can pick and mix ??

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2006 04:10AM

Hi Ian,

Preferred distance depends on the car owned, some like to charge around at high speed, some like to take things easy, some have no option but to take thing easy, 50 to 60 miles seems about right, with plenty of points of interest, watering points, coffee stops etc.

As to hills, remember some of the cars are using parts that are approaching 100 years old, long steep hills break cars and spoil what could be a good week, especially when it happens at the beginning of a touring week. Everyone gets affected, as the point of a tour, is to do it together. The more cars that drop out, means less overall enjoyment for everyone.

Type of roads? Quiet A and B class roads and wide lanes are best, If you get 30 or so steam cars driving on a tour; you will find cars stopped to attend to this or that, last thing you want is having to stop on a busy ďAĒ road, especially if itís the road thatís the problem, you donít want a number of cars stopped at the same point on a road.

Hope these tips help in your planning, all the best, and a Happy Christmas from Jeff and Pauline.

Posted by: ron parola (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: December 28, 2006 01:59PM

With a newer condensor car I would think that 130 to 150 miles per day would be fine. This is about maxium range for water carried on flatish ground (did 180 once but was Really sweating it). This would give a good drive, lunch stop; water and fuel refill and return before dark, assuming no "hesitations". Non condensing and buggies much less. Remember cruise speed on a buggy is 20 to 25, coffin noses much faster but would need many more water stops. Cheers Ron P

Posted by: (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: March 10, 2007 01:59PM

Hi Ian.
I have been trying to repond to your message for a while about tour milage, and at last I have got onto forum page, personally I and quite a few friends prefer the shorter trips, interspersed with Coffee/tea stops to promote the social aspect of running our cars, we typically do the Cotswold event with many stops and lunch breaks enjoying our cars rather than enduring them, I find the long trips 50 miles + to be more of a chore than a pleasure.
As we are in Yorkshire ( Holmfirth/Huddersfield area) Pat and I look forward to perhaps visiting you with our steamy pals and having a steamy weekend sometime if you feel like tolerating our company.
Quite a lot of 2007 is arranged but It may be possible to squeeze perhaps a long weekend in if you can allow this, we could help in promoting some ideas as to tour schedules, the idea of two stage tours is a good one with long and short mileages for different cars, this would be very sociable for those with different desires for car usage, I don't think steep hills should be a desirable feature of tours if avoidable as some of our cars are over a hundred years old, it seems (to me) a bit pointless testing cars with old engines with hidden cracks etc. just to be able to say " my car did it", anyway enough rambling good luck with your car and any events you might arrange.
As for average M.P.H on a tour, when I was hon. sec. for a motor club treasure hunts were (by law then) to be aranged at an average of 12 yes twelve M.P.H for the duration of the tour and it was not easy to maintain this without some severe driving, 30 M.P.H. AVERAGE is not easy to achieve, just try it (not using motorways), regards Les Nelson
o

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC