Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Kerosene and carbon
Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-181.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 27, 2016 11:05AM

Does anyone know the temperature at which Kerosene turns to carbon?

Re: Kerosene and carbon
Posted by: Rolly (216.255.244.---)
Date: April 28, 2016 10:30AM

I can’t tell you when they turn to carbon
But most fuels we use in steam cars vaporize between 400 to 450-F
And almost all cars I have worked on have two long of a vaporizing coil and there mounted in the wrong place.
They should be above the superheater and as close to the boiler as possible.
The burners run between 2500 to 3000-F the water in the boiler at 600 psi is only 486-F and most cars run at 500 psi or less.
You be the judge.
Rolly

Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-181.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 29, 2016 07:05AM

My vaporizer is below the supper heater but it would be difficult to change

Posted by: kelly (---.armstrong.com)
Date: April 29, 2016 08:32AM

Rolly, when you build your boiler rings, don't they mount the superheater next to the boiler, so that the vaporizer drops down with the burner?

Posted by: Rolly (216.255.244.---)
Date: April 29, 2016 10:18AM

Yes that’s the way mine is built but it has straight vaporizer that goes right across the boiler only 18 inches long.
I think there would be a lot less trouble with a wide ring and both the vaporizer and superheater were in the ring. The vaporizer above the superheater next to the boiler. It’s the coolest place in the combustion chamber.
The few I have had the leeway to modify I moved the vaporizer as high as I could and built new branch forks. It has been a learning curve.
Not many want to make changes. Most all the vaporizer I have built for people is what they want and mostly the same as the old one.
If I had my choice I would use 4130 instead of stainless and make the hotdog with the same stuff.
Rolly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC