Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
taking tyres off STANLEY de mountable split rims
Posted by: fowlerfrank (---.range86-168.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 11, 2017 12:08PM

Hi there everybody me again with another silly question.
does anybody have the correct SPLIT RIM JACK for taking tyres off the rim ?and getting them back on again !!! . I have seen a video /youtube of the model T ford boys using the jack on their wheels ( probably slightly smaller than mine which is 32 x 4 1/2 )but a similar split rim and it took them about 5 minuits and not a tyre lever in sight they did however use a big rubber mallet though.

does anybody know of one that i can borrow to measure it to make one or if they are still made or available second hand.

I managed to get the old tyre off using tyre levers but i would not like to try getting a new tyre and tube back on the same way!

the jack consists of a 3 legged spider one leg of which is extended in or out using a handle and 2 bevel gears

ATB Frank (located in BRISTOL UK )

ps REBECCA is nearly ready for the road but this cold weather means i wont be filling her up with water just yet !

Re: taking tyres off STANLEY de mountable split rims
Posted by: fowlerfrank (---.range86-139.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 16, 2018 12:43PM

Well problem solved, Aunties E bay & Google about £30 quid +£30 Quid postage i now have a SPLIT RIM JACK ( there were 5 on E bay ) You did still need to use 4 tyre levers though and i also had to make like a reverse balljoint splitter to hold the tyre wall apart from the rim so as i could get my fingers in to get the valve stem in through the hole . have also tried the spare on the car just in case it wasn"t the right type due to finding that the spare was the only rim that was a split rim the other 4 are side locking ring type (and to see how you do it much better in the workshop than in the dark by the roadside ), have tried to attach a picture for you but the system"s are not having any of it !!! how do you do it ? hopefully see you on the road somewhere this year
Frank

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC