Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
De Dion Bouton et Trepardoux
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2007 08:00AM

Hi All,

As you may have seen on our "For Sale" page Christie's are offering this vehicle for sale at one of their auctions. Has anyone personally seen this early steam vehicle, can anyone comment on its condition etc, many thanks,

Jeff.

Re: De Dion Bouton et Trepardoux
Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 21, 2007 01:18PM

If there is no more than one of these, then yes I have seen it in operation. Steam cars were featured at the 1996 (I think?) Pebble Beach Concourse de Elegance; and the De Dion Bouton et Trepardoux was shipped in for its appearance at the show. It ran around for about three days without any apparent problems. Its speed was slow at about 15 mph. Maybe it could go faster but due to the crowded setting, 15 mph might have been the safest speed to travel. It took two to operate it,the driver and the fireman. It seemed reliable and looked primative. The operators had fun every minute they were there with it.

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.brnt.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: January 21, 2007 06:07PM

SSSteamer,

The car you saw at Pebble Beach is not the one in the sale. It is mentioned in Christie's sale blurb as existing in the UK and as far as I know still lives near Cambridge.

Mike

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 22, 2007 11:30AM

Dear Mike, The car that I seen was brought in from Europe for the show at Pebble Beach. It ran well and looked correct for it's year of manufacture. With all of the recreations being built nowadays, who knows if it was an original or a reproduction.

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 22, 2007 06:41PM

Original! Well known in Veteran Car Club for many years.
Mike

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 20, 2007 04:19PM

Over $900,000 - the most expensive steam car ever?

Jolly nice but a lot less use than a Stanley.

Mike

Posted by: Tim Senior (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2007 04:52AM

Has anyone any idea where it's gone?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC