Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Pilot burner going out?
Posted by: Jeff (2.26.63.---)
Date: March 17, 2018 05:38PM

Hi I am having trouble with my pilot going out it's on a Baker type burner has anybody had this trouble? It happens probably once a mile! It does appear to still be getting hexine gas, can it be just blowing out?

Re: Pilot burner going out?
Posted by: Peter Turvey (---.as13285.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 05:55PM

We have a Packard type pilot on running on hexane at 15-25 psi on our Model 607. I find that too sudden a throttle opening can blow the pilot burner out, and it can also blow out on fast descents after a steep pull uphill.

Only advice I can give is check that everything is clean.

Posted by: Mike L Clark (---.range86-181.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 23, 2018 03:43PM

Lots of reasons why pilots go out

The pilot air intake is so close to the main burner intakes that when the main burner is firing hard its intakes create a strong suction in the area with which the poor pilot cannot compete - so starving the pilot of air, causing a cool yellow flame or even putting the pilot out. The pilot venturilike the main burner venturi is drawing in air by suction and blowing it into the combustion chamber where the gas pressure rises. This also works against the pilot which just can’t create the same pressure differential as the main burner

This will be why Peter’s pilot goes out - the car has just stormed up a hill and the burners are at full chat trying to recover boiler pressure while at the same time the throttle is closed and there is no draft assistance from the exhaust steam venting down the main flue.

Perhaps sudden throttle opening with the main burner off may let steam exhaust suction lift the pilot flame away from the slots.

In my experience the pilot does not work well while the main burner is firing so odd things can happen. I got round this by using a spark igniter which ran all the time so even if the pilot went out it would immediately re-light. I had to be careful to turn both pilot and igniter off when we stopped to refuel.

Mike

Date: March 26, 2018 04:59PM

Hi Mike thank you for the reply I think you are correct my pilot does go out when I open the throttle even after I fixed a cover over the pilot mixing tube end only leaving enough room to have the jet through a hole and the only air had to come indirectly up through made it worse! (Tried it today) I have ordered a constant sparking electronic ignition unit tonight! Thanks again jeff b.
Just for interest the new valor part no is 5122420.

Date: March 26, 2018 05:04PM

Thank you Peter your comments sound very familiar I am going to try a constant sparking unit, thanks again jeff b.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC