Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley Brake Ring Repair or Not
Posted by: Peter Turvey (---.as13285.net)
Date: December 4, 2018 01:07PM

I'm using the 1913 Stanley parts list terminology her - the passenger side Internal Hub Brake expanding ring on our Model 607 has a smal crak in the web, see attached photo.

Need suggestions for repair - or leave well alone?

drill hole to stop crack spreading

Have crack ground out and bronze weld repair?

Also - any suggestions re new brake lining material, has to be readily available i UK. The passenger side ring is worn down to the rivets at the top. Te Drivers side one is ok.

Attachments: IMG_3113_NS_Brake_shoe_crack_small.JPG (227kB)  
Re: Stanley Brake Ring Repair or Not
Posted by: SSsssteamer (50.35.56.---)
Date: December 7, 2018 11:32AM

Peter, Looks like your crack started from a void in the bronze. The crack would have a long ways to go to be a problem. I would leave it be for now. Here in the U.S., for brake lining, we use the Green Gripper Aramid GGA lining. It has to be the best. Some say that it may be too aggressive on the brake drums, but the brake drums can be replaced, a life cannot be replaced. On our 1914 606 I had new brake drums cast out of ductile iron and I machined them to fit. Fantastic braking.

Posted by: Mike L Clark (---.range86-162.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 7, 2018 04:05PM

Saftek in Cleckheaton have supplied me with a woven Green Gripper (GGW) lining for several vintage cars where the lining is riveted to the shoe rather than bonded. My experience of bonded linings fixed to old aluminium shoes, although not done by Saftek, has not been good as, over time moisture creeps between lining and shoe causing corrosion and separation. It probably depends on how well the bonding is done and the humidity where the car is kept.

The woven Green Gripper stops OK but needs a good push on the pedal. I also find that where used on machined steel drums there is a definite tendency to brake squeal whereas on cast drums this is much less noticeable.

Saftek are a good outfit so get their advice on material (although I'd stick to riveting). They turn the job round very quickly.

Not sure I would use that cracked shoe. Old bronze can be very brittle as Bob Dyke will no doubt confirm!

Mike

Posted by: Peter Turvey (---.as13285.net)
Date: December 7, 2018 05:18PM

Thsnks for advice everyone, very useful to have guidance on brake linings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC