Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The benefits of tannin as a boiler treament
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 06:01PM

Here is an illustration of what I guess are the anticorrosion effects of tannin. It is amazing. Ok I know a tank is not a steamcar but a boiler is a tank.

A Russian T34 tank was dumped in lake at the end of the war where it was covered in peat and mud for 56 years then discovered and hauled out in 2000. It looks almost perfect and the tracks even turned as it was pulled up the bank. There are pictures and Youtube video links. Worth seeing.

[www.englishrussia.com]

edited 17th Feb - to insert link which had disappeared.

Mike

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 02/17/07 04:48PM by Mike Clark.

Re: The benefits of tannin as a boiler treament
Posted by: Ian Vinton (---.range81-151.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 02:56PM

Mike

My Fowler roller has a boiler in famtastic condition for its 101 years.
During its life in Switzerland they would put a freshly cut block of Oak into the boiler every year, Oak is apparantly loaded with tannin, this was their way of keeping the boiler clean.

At the end of the year they would remove the water logged Oak and use it in the next Spring to light the engine, how is that for being Green !

Regards
Ian V

Posted by: Ian Vinton (---.range81-159.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 17, 2007 04:03PM

Gerry

I disagree with you theory !

I learnt during my apprenticeship, with British Railways, that Milk should added first before the tea is poured.

It was due to my eagerness to learn important stuff, like this, that I can now buy my own steam car and apply my apprenticeship techniques to it ie: lots of tea breaks, incorrect use of tools, along with a large amount of talkng rubbish, so that the day blends into the evening.

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 17, 2007 04:38PM

I've noticed that the inside of my boiler and anything else which the tannin treatment comes in contact with are well covered with a brown deposit - possibly this also applies to the interior of many a tea drinker.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC