Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Brake Drums Stanley 607
Posted by: Peter Turvey (---.as13285.net)
Date: January 13, 2019 05:43AM

Anyone know where I could source new brake drums for a 1914 Stanley Model 607 10hp?

The originals are still just serviceable, noticeable wear and scoring, but suspect will need replacement at next brake reline.

Re: Brake Drums Stanley 607
Posted by: Mike L Clark (---.range81-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 19, 2019 05:30AM

Peter - first port of call should be Goolds - they may have patterns to make these.

Alternatively you might be able to adapt a modern brake drum. The problem is most suppliers do not show the sizes.

This site does show sizes but you would need to root through a fair number of examples to find what you need as there is no comparative table of sizes.

[www.cartech-one.co.uk]

I had the luck to discover that the brake drums for the Toyota Aygo are almost an exact fit for my 1925 Salmson. I adapted Toyota pickup drums for my Model H, thinking they would be easy to source for futureproofing - wrong - they became unavailable quite soon afterwards.

Mike

Posted by: SSsssteamer (50.35.54.---)
Date: January 19, 2019 10:44AM

On our 1914 Stanley model 606, because of poor braking, I replaced the steel brake drums with cast iron drums and modern brake lining. It stops excellent now. I bought the drum castings from the auction of the Carl Amsley estate. They were easy to machine and I am glad that I went to the cast iron drums. My old steel drums were getting thin anyway. Because of the great braking improvement, I also upgraded the steel brake drums of our 1911 Stanley model 85 to cast iron drums too. I made a wood pattern and had Thompson Foundry in Surrey, B.C. Canada cast the drums out of ductile iron. Same story, I machined them out and they now work wonderfully. I reduced the diameter of the inner brake shoe just a little so that I could have a thicker brake drum wall.

Date: January 20, 2019 02:11PM

Thanks everyone, I will get on to the Goolds.

Happy new year

Peter

Date: January 21, 2019 07:19AM

just for info, Goolds tell me they have never replicated an original drum profile, and have not plans to do a batch. So thinking about alternatives.
CNC machining? I wonder, anyway this afternoon taking the original drums off to be skimmed as they still have some life left in them.

cheers

Peter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC