Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
To Descale Boiler or not?
Posted by: Mike (---.as13285.net)
Date: January 16, 2019 06:53AM

I live in a very hard water area and chalk build up in Kettles etc is very evident.

My Boiler is now 12 years old and although passed its 10 year test and following tests. I am thinking should I descale the boiler, with a industrial product?
Have you had experience of descaling a boiler?

Mike Tuck
Treasurer &
Membership Secretary

Re: To Descale Boiler or not?
Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-133.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 16, 2019 02:53PM

I can highly recommend Fernox DS-3

Posted by: Mike (---.as13285.net)
Date: January 17, 2019 04:50AM

Hi Donald, Thank you for your quick reply. I have had a look at the manufactures web site, but it is a bit short on instructions.
Should I put in the boiler directly? If so how long do I leave it before flushing?
Lastly how often do you use it?

Mike Tuck
Treasurer &
Membership Secretary

Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-178.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 17, 2019 04:11PM

Hi Mike, If you search for my thread from 2010 titled “leaking boiler tubes” you will see why I first used the Fernox DS-3. I also use TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) added to the feed water & check its ph daily.

Here is some info for you:-

Limescale Remover DS-3 2Kg Product Code: 61027, 24066

Description

Using sulphamic acid, this powerful but environmentally friendly product is ideal for use to remove baked-on limescale deposits from domestic appliances and boiler heat exchangers. Designed with the consumer in mind, the product is safe and easy to use; after each application the product changes colour to indicate when DS-3 is exhausted and ready for disposal to foul drain.

• Restores efficiency to all types of water heater

• Powerful acid limescale remover, dissolves up to 50% of its own weight of limescale

• Corrosion inhibited

• Colour change indicated when exhausted

• Safe to apply and easy to use

• Belgaqua approved product

Application and Dosage

Fernox DS-3 should first be dissolved in hot water at the maximum concentration of 1 kg per 10 litres of water (10%) with a minimum in-use concentration of 250g per 10 litres of water (2.5%). Hot water will accelerate de-scaling but do not exceed 80°C. The de-scaling process will release carbon dioxide gas (CO-2), which can cause foaming. Hence, space should be allowed for this before commencing work. A colour change from yellow, through green, to blue indicates the de-scaling power is exhausted. However, the major part of the solution’s effort is expended when green is reached and if cold the final change to blue can take a long time. When de-scaling is complete, drain and rinse several times until no traces or odours remain. DS-3 can be neutralised with Fernox System Neutraliser.

Physical Properties

Fernox DS-3 contains Sulphamic acid with inhibitors, indicators and non-foaming surfactants.

Colour: Yellow
Odour: Faint
Form: Crystals
pH: 2.0 at 1% w/w in water
S.G: N/A

Fernox DS-3 is supplied in 2kg and 30kg containers.

Posted by: Peter Turvey (---.as13285.net)
Date: January 20, 2019 02:13PM

Re Fernox, its quite easy to source and to use, washed one of my steam launch boilers out with it regularly.

Peter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC