Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Pilot light
Posted by: Mike (---.as13285.net)
Date: August 25, 2019 03:40AM

I use Hexane for my pilot light. However, if the pressure is below 20 psi it risks being blown out. What do you think the right pressure should be?

Mike Tuck
Treasurer &
Membership Secretary

Re: Pilot light
Posted by: Tim Senior (81.92.203.---)
Date: August 25, 2019 02:07PM

The right pressure is the one that works for you

Posted by: SSsssteamer (50.34.146.---)
Date: August 26, 2019 10:25AM

I use the Maxwell pilot light with the Coleman 500 generator. I try to keep the Hexane pressure at 12 PSI, however it still works well down at 5 PSI. The Hexane fuel that I use is very reliable. My pilot light does have a 3/16" stainless steel rod that is directly over the pilot light flame and it is called a re-igniter. It glows red in the flame and if the flame briefly blows out, the red hot igniter relights the flame. Hardly ever is a problem with my pilot lights in our three Stanleys. Another method that I practice by is the lower the pilot light pressure is, the easier it is for the generator to vaporize the fuel. It is like boiling water on a mountain top. With the lower air pressure at the higher elevation, the water will boil at a much lower temperature. It works the same with fuel. The opposite is also true, the higher the pilot air pressure, the higher the temperature has to be for the vaporizing of the fuel to occur.

Posted by: Peter Turvey (---.as13285.net)
Date: August 26, 2019 05:13PM

Mike, assuming your car has a Goold made pilot like mine, I found that pressures above 20 psi give best results, suppose on average I tend to run around 25 psi, usually pump up to that or getting in for 30 at start of a run.

Peter

Posted by: Mike (---.as13285.net)
Date: August 27, 2019 03:24AM

Hi Peter, yes it is a Goold pilot and I run it at 25 to 30 psi. However, when I heat the pilot the jets start to drip and light. At lower psi, this doesn't happen.
That's why I thought I was wrong to have a high psi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC