Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Replacing steam automatic diaphragm
Posted by: Peter Turvey (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: March 5, 2020 05:13PM

After replacing the diaphragm in a Stanley steam automatic, how many turns should the adjusting screw taken up by to put an initial load on the spring? Ole Vickers article in the March 1987 Stanley newsletter suggests three, but I have read that this is excessive. any suggestions

I don’t have a gauge reading above 300psi in the workshop, so can only set to this pressure by hydraulic pressure, will have to make final adjustments under steam.

Assuming I will also have to reset the ball valve clearance as described in the Stanley manuals too, to suit the new diaphragm. Is this recommended?

Re: Replacing steam automatic diaphragm
Date: March 13, 2020 12:53PM

Update, total fail following the March 1987 instruction but with less pre tension on the adjuster, think I managed to damage the new diaphragm as even with the adjuster screwed right in can’t get the pressure much above 400 psi. You have been warned. Perhaps the fact that the instructions refer to using two 14 thousands of an inch thick diaphragms but my automatic only had one might be significant!

Posted by: Mike (31.127.155.---)
Date: March 25, 2020 01:49PM

Hi Peter, When I change mine I steamed with the adjuster well down and the with gloves adjusted up but got 300psi and keep adjusting until I got 450psi which I run on.
I found a long allen key was best to use as an adjuster.

Mike Tuck
Treasurer &
Membership Secretary

Date: March 28, 2020 06:38PM

Thanks Mike, part of my problem was that following the Ole Vickers instructions I altered the setting of the valve body and probably made the task harder, anyway I gave up and sent it to the Goolds to sort as I was then running out of Stanley time, how things change! Automatic back and refitted, car is now sorted for road testing,but mothballed again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC