Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stuck perch pole bolts
Posted by: Peter Turvey (---.as13285.net)
Date: July 18, 2020 06:23PM

The Passenger Side perch pole bolts on our car are stuck, the pole is slightly loose yet we are unable to tighten the bolts or to unscrew them, even after clamping the pole at the metal sleeve next to the axles to stop it twisting. Any ideas on freeing them and sorting this fault?

Re: Stuck perch pole bolts
Posted by: Donald Cook (---.range86-174.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 28, 2020 04:51AM

All I can suggest is that you use penetrating oil, or heat, but if you have wooden perch poles then any use of heat would be out of the question.

Posted by: Rolly (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 2, 2020 12:41PM

Peter
Years ago I heard of a steam pump that was under a trailer 75 years ago. The trailer rusted out and collapsed to the ground. It was that way for years, a friend of mine and I went over to the lot and determined just where it would have been and dug down in the ground and found it. I boiled it in a 55 gal drum with water and kerosene for three days. Nothing would brake loose.
My son had a repair truck with an air compressor and an air operated vibrating impact gun for sockets. Every bolt came loose.

I needed to remove a pulley from an alternator, no way to hold the shaft. I went and found a garage repair shop that had an impact gun and the nut came off.

Attached is my perch rod end.

Rolly

Attachments: Perch rod end.jpg (74kB)  
Posted by: Peter Turvey (---.as13285.net)
Date: August 11, 2020 10:37AM

Thank you Rolly, Impact gun seems to be the way forward, and your beautifully detailed drawings are a great help.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08/11/20 10:37AM by Peter Turvey.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC