Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
One that got away
Posted by: (129.253.1.---)
Date: March 27, 2007 07:53PM

My quest has begun..................for years I have been restoring and enjoying Fords. I began at 15 yrs of age with a Model AA, with a piece of junk. Got it running and was proud. That turned into a couple of Model A restorations. The last 20 years have been with the Model T Ford. I have been able to put a couple of these back on the road. What a good feeling to preserve some history.

Back to my quest. It is time to branch out to something a bit more challenging. STEAM. I have been starting to look for a project car. I had one right in front of me a few months back, Don was selling his Model 740B, I didn't react fast enough and I understand that it is on its way to the UK. I have been sleepless ever since.......this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to own an original Condensing Stanley. UGH!

So I am putting out the request for another opportunity like that one during my lifetime. I would love to take on a Steam Car Project. A project that still has some good "bones" to it. Please let me know if there are any opportunities out there. My goal is to restore/ repair the car, and to drive the heck out of it. The best part of the old car hobbie is the people you meet, the stories you hear and the smile on an old fellas face and the comment " I remember when............."

Regards, Brian Schott USA 408 218-3235 cell

Re: One that got away
Posted by: tombdog (---.osis.gov)
Date: March 28, 2007 12:58PM

Brian,
I was in the same situation as you are. In 2003 I went on a Horseless Carriage Club one and two cylinder tour (steam cars too). One of the steam cars (a 1910 Stanley) needed a navigator. On the second day, I got to drive. Now I was ruined!
I searched far and wide and in December 2005 settled on the Modelworks Likamobile replica. Not Authentic, you might say. True. But, it is a way to learn steam as you build, and in the ned have a driving steam car. It is 18 Kits, and I am up to Kit 8. Very interesting build, and in the meantime, you can keep an eye out for that elusive "authentic" steam car.
My other car is a 1909 Buick. Not steam though.

Thanks, Doug Tomb, Virginia, USA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC