Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Bouncing trailer pumps water
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.brhm.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: April 5, 2007 05:06PM

Funny experience last weekend. Stanley, with boiler filled by siphon the previous week and still under vacuum, was towed on a trailer for about 250 miles to an event. Result boiler pressure changed from vacuum to about 20psi - obviously the bouncing up and down on the trailer operates the water pump. The by-passes were closed. About a cupful out of the blowdown was enough to let down the pressure. I wonder if the oil pump also operates in this situation? Can't tell as I only checked the oil usage after running the car.

Mike




Edited 1 times. Last edit at 04/05/07 05:07PM by Mike Clark.

Re: Bouncing trailer pumps water
Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 6, 2007 03:58PM

Dear Mike, I have experienced the same thing of finding more water in my boiler than when I left home. However, I have never ended up with a pressurized boiler that I ever noticed. On trailer trips longer than 25 miles, I always drain my water tank to lighten my towed load. Water is cheap and it's access is always available. I do however, keep a full boiler when towing in case I have to steam up later for a short trip to go to find water.

Re: Bouncing trailer pumps water
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.bmly.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: April 6, 2007 06:00PM

I don't fill the water tank before setting out on a trailer journey but make sure the boiler has siphoned full so that I have a very full boiler on starting the tour each day - this gives me 4-5 miles more before needing to fill the tank. At the end of a tour when packing up to go on the trailer I usually part fill the water tank, just enough to refill the boiler as it siphons on the way home and ending up with the tank more or less empty. I try to keep the boiler full by siphon whenever possible so that air is minimised for corrosion reasons when parked up for a few days.

Being a longish way from most of the events for my Stanley it does far more miles on the trailer than on the road. I think we forget that trailering is actually quite hard on the car as it gets shaken around more than when on its own wheels so as you say minimising the water load is good idea. I noticed many US steamers tie their cars down hard between the frame and the trailer to stop the car bouncing on its springs when being trailed. Has anyone any views on this?

Mike

Re: Bouncing trailer pumps water
Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 7, 2007 01:52AM

Dear Mike, I am probably the best one to report on how Stanleys are tied down in trailers as I tow to about all of the long distance steam meets. Tomorrow morning I am leaving on a 2,500 mile round trip to Los Angeles with our Stanley in tow. From what I have noticed, about 65% of the people in our circle tie each wheel down to the floor with a tire bra over each tire ratcheted down to an E track in the floor. That way there isn't any force pulling your perch poles apart and your Stanley is left to float at it's will. The other 35% tie their Stanleys down with straps looped over their axles. The Stanley is still able to float along on it's own suspension but there is quite a stress put on the perch poles. I know of no one who ties their Stanley's frames down to the trailers anymore. The reason for not tying the frame down is because if you hit a hard enough bump, the suspension will compress and when it comes back up, something is going to get broken. It is usually the chains and then your Stanley is free to roll about. A book can be written about this topic.



Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC