Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Dispensing of thick oil
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.manc.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: April 8, 2007 05:18PM

Now I'm on 1000 grade steam oil which is only supplied by Morris's in 25 litre drums I'm struggling to get it from the drum to the car. I can lift the drum easily enough but how to hold it while the oil pours slowly out is another story.

Has anyone found a hand pump to fit the drum which is capable of pumping 1000 grade?
Sealey do several kind of pumps but which one works with this heavy oil?

[www.shop-com.co.uk]

[www.justoffbase.co.uk]
Mike

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 04/08/07 05:22PM by Mike Clark.

Re: Dispensing of thick oil
Posted by: Tim Senior (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 9, 2007 04:40AM

Mike
Pour it into plastic jug first. Put the jug into a poly bag when used and save for next time.
Lot cheaper than a pump.
Regs. Tim

Date: April 9, 2007 04:59PM

Tim

Already use the jug and bag trick but my problem is how to hold the 25 litre drum suitably inverted while the damned oil makes up its mind to come out then when it does start to flow into the plastic jug how to stop without getting oil all over the place. Pumps which are about £30 would be easier. T'would be even better if Morris sold it in 5 litre cans.

Mike

Posted by: (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: April 11, 2007 12:38AM

Dear Mike, Wife and I are on tour in California with our 606 Stanley and I just borrowed a friends computer. For my steam cylinder oil, I have a barrel cart that raises the barrel to horizontal. I have a molasses valve that fits into the large bung hole. It quickly shuts off the oil flow just like a paper cutter knife. From a small trickel or to even a large flow, it can be achieved with this valve. The molasses valve is from old times and can be bought for cheap in the junk stores.

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.leed.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: April 11, 2007 12:07PM

Sssteamer - glad to see you are keeping up with things when on tour!!
Good idea - I'll look for one.

Mike

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2007 02:44PM

Hi Mike,

I decant my oil into those modern plastic 5 Lt engine oil containers with the clear strip up the side, this allows you to see the level when filling so you can stop filling in good time.

Jeff.

Date: April 11, 2007 05:08PM

The problem is it flows so slowly and will barely go through a funnel so transferring it to smaller cans is a real pain - got to be an easier way.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC