Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Trailer for 10hp Stanley 607
Posted by: (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 9, 2007 06:12AM

Can anyone recommend a good UK make/type of trailer for a 1914 Model 607 Stanley - chassis is about 151" long over the ends of the springs. The Stanley museum specification chart gives car weight as 1750 lbs but not sure how accurate this is,or if it includes fuel and water. Ours has a solid shell boiler so it will be a bit heavier than this in any case.

Re: Trailer for 10hp Stanley 607
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.manc.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: April 9, 2007 05:59PM

Peter,

Can't recommend a particular make but here are a few thoughts.

Make sure the trailer is long enough so you can place the Stanley so as to get the proper amount of nose weight on the tow hitch. I put a bar across the front of mine which I drive the Stanley up to so guaranteeing proper balance. The bar touches the wheels above the Stanley wheel centre line so there is no chance of the car riding up over it. You might be best to wait until the car is ready then try it on any possible trailer before buying although I imagine the trailer manufacturers could work it out from the length of the car, its overhang, and the weight on each axle.

It's worth having an electric winch so you can easily load the car without having to fire it up.

Read Sssteamer’s comments about tying down in my thread about bouncing trailers - if you intend to strap it down by the wheels you need to be sure there are roping hooks in the right places.

I wouldn't believe Stanley's catalogue weight for your car - they were usually quite a bit heavier than Stanley advertised. Water can easily add another 200 pounds even with only part full tank and boiler, then there is fuel.

Do you know what you are going to tow with - remember there are few cars that can legally tow 500 kilos of trailer plus a ton of car. Taking a Stanley to a tour also generally seems to need a lot of extra tools and junk. You may need to get a 4X4 but just don’t let the emperor of Livingstonia or the BBC hear about it.

If like me you are messing about with houses as well as cars I would definitely go for a trailer with a flat bed not just two channels - they are heavier but much more versatile.

Mike

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 04/09/07 06:00PM by Mike Clark.

Re: Trailer for 10hp Stanley 607
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2007 06:15AM

Hi Peter,

Your best bet will be to contact Brian James Trailers at.........

www.brianjames.co.uk/pages/about.html

or Ifor Williams Trailers Ltd at..........

www.iwt.co.uk

hope this helps, Jeff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC