Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Water treatment
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.glfd.dial.virgin.net)
Date: February 1, 2005 06:04PM

Just read David Webster's item on water treatment on the information clipboard.

Would it be possible to make up sachets containing a dry mix of soda ash and tannin in the correct amounts for treatment of say 20 gallons of water? We would then just empty one in at each fill. Some enterprising person could make these up with the right amounts for hard, medium and soft water.

Interesting comment on blowing down when firing up - I have done this and it certainly shifts a lot of crud when the water is boiling freely - don't really need much pressure at all.

Mike

Re: Water treatment
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 2, 2005 09:07AM

Sadly, the mixture used must be based on the KIND of hardness in the water. All the major suppliers of such compounds in the 1920s made a point of requiring a sample of the water to be treated before they would suggest a treatment.
A number of Stanley owners in the US have been using tri-sodium phosphate, with good results. I admit that I am not one of them, but I drive a condensing car.
I don't think tannin is a good idea in automobile boilers, acceptable at 150 psi., not at 600.
I always give the boiler a bit of a blow while steaming up. It makes sure the bottom fittings are clear and gets rid of any air in the feedwater automatic loop.

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.glfd.dial.virgin.net)
Date: May 31, 2005 04:55PM

Has anyone tried the Accepta 2089 water treatment mentioned in the information clip board?

Mike

Posted by: Ian Vinton (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 1, 2005 02:15PM

Why is tannin no good at 600 psi ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC