Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
740 starting.......
Posted by: (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: August 4, 2007 06:08AM

Firstly, thanks everyone for the water level info..

next problem ...

the manual refers to an electric starter button (which nothing similar or close is anywhere the car I have) the book says to press the button for 10 seconds... from which I sumise it is (was) a type of 'glow plug" type system to preheat the pilot bulb, however with only 6 volt available, it would be either a fairly dull or short lived glow that could be emitted.......
the book goes on to say to use the "sparker" & if it doesnt light press the button for a further 10 seconds......
I assume the sparker is a type of peizo igniter (same as a BBQ lighter), this is easily sourced, but I can't see it working.
Now on a "proper" steam car (Locomobile) I am supposed to remove the pilot assembly and place it in my furnace to preheat. this I can understand.

To date I have fired the 740 by inserting a gas torch into the inspection hole for 5 minutes before opening the pilot valve.

The 1st time I did this, there were lots of leaks and I was forced to use an extinguisher to prevent a charred Stanley!

Whoops!

Perhaps the manual should be ammended to include reference to having a extinguisher handy!

hope someone has better info on starting efficiently!

thankx

locosurrey

Re: 740 starting.......
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: August 4, 2007 07:30PM

Hi Dave,

The electric button was like a standard starter button found on early petrol cars, it should be mounted on the chassis just inside the inspection flap, when pressed the battery was shorted through the pilot vaporiser, a high current passed through the pilot vaporiser heating it up, this was very hard on the battery.

The best way these days is to use a gas blowlamp on the pilot and pipework just outside the burner pan until sizzling hot, then place the blowlamp so that the flame passes through the peep hole and turn on the pilot fuel valve just a little, (1/8 turn) it should light with a blue flame, keep an eye on it for a few minutes, if it starts pulse from a blue to yellow flame apply more heat, try and keep the blowlamp flame away from the air intake for the pilot, watch the pilot burner through the peep hole until it settles to a steady blue burn, open the pilot valve up one turn.

Hope this helps, Jeff.

Re: 740 starting.......
Posted by: (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: August 5, 2007 02:13AM

thankx, this confirms my current actions,

locosurrey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC