Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
1899 Locomobile diff brace
Posted by: (---.bri.connect.net.au)
Date: December 15, 2007 02:54AM

Hi guys. New to forum and new to steam. Have a very original 1899 Locomobile, and at about 12 to 15 mph, the rear axle assembly flexes so much the chain comes off. I understand that late in 1899 they added a brace from the diff centre to the chassis rails on each side, then in 1900 they cast in the supporting lugs for these bracing struts, making them a permanent feature. They also changed the axle housing half joining pieces to round tube rather than the flat originally used.

Can anyone please supply me with a pair of, or specs and/or photos of the bracing rods added late 1899? If I need to manufacture these, I would like them to be as close as possible to original. Or is there someone willing to make these for me, using their's as a pattern?

Question 2: What is the correct method of putting my baby to bed? I received good 'firing up' instructions, but nothing on 'firing down'. To date, I have been opening a small tap in the steam chest cover, leaving the car in neutral, and opening the throttle slightly to let the steam slowly escape.

It fires up easily, reaching 200psi in a few minutes. Have not yet experienced a blowback, nor flame anywhere except where it should be. Running fuel pressure (petrol) at 40psi, and pilot at about 8psi. Have to address the flexing rear axle before driving any more then half a mile from home, and then I suspect the steering will need some attention.

I also posted this in the SACA forum, but it does not seem as orientated towards the veteran scene as this forum is.

Cheers

Merv Kroll

Re: 1899 Locomobile diff brace
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2007 04:53AM

Hi Merv,

I have replied to your post via email, as I have attached a number of pictures with the info, hope this helps, Jeff.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12/19/07 08:12PM by Jeff Theobald.

Date: December 19, 2007 05:14PM

Thanks Jeff. Pictures show everything, and are great. Even show correct setup of later double-acting brake, which will be handy. Also had reply from Joy, but all my emails to "steamcar.net" get returned as junk mail. Thanks Joy. Boy, steam can really get you in, can't it? My other veterans have been sadly neglected of late......

Cheers

Posted by: (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 16, 2008 06:21AM

I have a bucket of photos of my 01 surrey, if they can help, just post your e-mail address
or contact me direct at daveh@iinet.net.au

Date: January 16, 2008 04:09PM

Thanks, Dave. My email is mkroll@aapt.net.au, though I suspect your diff would be later then mine, and will have the braces cast in. Appreciate any info you can send though.

Cheers

Merv Kroll

Posted by: (---.for.connect.net.au)
Date: February 3, 2008 04:19AM

Hi Dave, thanks for the terrific photos. I appreciated them, and they are now permantly in my library. Could you help me with one other photo please? My car has different steering for some reason. Where the normal Locomobile has the tiller in the centre, with the steering tube protruding down below the axle, and braced to the axle, my car has it going thru the body half way between centre and the right hand side, and braced by a bracket on the spring rather then the front axle. I have no idea why. It makes the car very giggly headed.

I am looking for pictorial detail on how the down tube is attached to the axle, if anyone can help. Also what pressure should my 1899 run at? At 200psi, it will not pull sufficiently to attack the slightest hill. Have had a steam guy tweak the valve timing, and the motor appears in quite good condition. Should I be running at higher steam pressure then 200psi?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Date: February 8, 2008 10:05PM

Can anyone please help me with a photo of the detail on how the front down steering tube attaches to the front axle on an early Locomobile? Appreciate any help available.

Cheers

Merv Kroll

Posted by: (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: February 9, 2008 03:31AM

strange set up.
we all know that they were initially centre steered, but this was problematic and soon changed over to R/H tiller steered

Perhaps yours was a backyard conversion?
if so I would make it the standard LH tiller, this is quite easy and we can easily send pics and measurements to adjust yours.

As for pressure I would not run a Loco above 200psi, the later Loco's had strengthening ribs fitted to the cylinders to cope with the higher pressures, but certainly not a 1899!

better to look at the valve facing and adjustments, and lubrication of the steam chest as the oil assists with sealing the valve faces cutting down on leakage and hence more power.

good luck.

locosurrey

Date: February 9, 2008 03:43AM

Dave, it's a very original 1899 model, and I shall keep it tiller steered. And also because it has been converted to right hand centre tiller at some time in it's history, I shall also keep that feature. (unless it was a very early prototype chassis, which I doubt.) What I do need to know is how the centre tiller down tube was attached to the front axle to stabilise it. Mine is very short, and because of that has too much movement in it. (is there a way to attach photos to a post on this forum?)

There are no holes or attaching lugs on the front axle where it should be attached. I would appreciate a couple of photos of this detail from anyone with a centre tiller Locomobile, so I can attempt to duplicate it. Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Merv Kroll

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: February 9, 2008 04:10AM

Hi Merv,

I have taken a number of pictures of the steering mounts, have a look at

www.steamcar.net

hope this helps, Jeff.

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC