Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
steam generated water pump
Posted by: 1900 Locomobile (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 23, 2007 12:44PM

Hello,

I would like to post the question about steam generated water pump. i have heard of these and wondered if anyone knows about these, or how they work

Re: steam generated water pump
Posted by: (---.bri.connect.net.au)
Date: December 27, 2007 05:14AM

If answering this post, please do so on the forum - not by email. I too would like to know what is involved with a steam water pump suitable for a locomobile.

Cheers

Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2007 07:46AM

Are you asking about an injector, a device that uses steam to inject the water into a boiler, or about the water pump on the Locomobile engine used to put feed water into the boiler.

[www.steamcar.net]

Posted by: (85.124.129.---)
Date: December 27, 2007 11:32AM

have a look at www.google.com/patents and look for "J.H. Bullard steam" and you will find a lot of information about steam pumps.

Greetings from Vienna, Austria, Peter

Date: December 27, 2007 01:30PM

I must be getting old, I did not associate the question of the typical single or doubling acting steam pump with the Locomobile steam car. Steam pumps were not generally use on cars, however I have seen a few used.

Single acting pumps are not easily started automatically however Duplex pumps adjusted correctly can be set up to start and stop automatically and maintain water level at a near constant level. I rebuilt several for a museum. They all tend to be steam hogs and are generally used on boilers plants that can generate more then enough steam then is requires for the main power plant.

You may find one that would do the job on a Locomobile steam car if you look at the duplex steam pumps used on 1-1/2 scale locomotives. There are some nice compact units that will pump at 300 PSI.

Posted by: (---.bri.connect.net.au)
Date: December 27, 2007 07:02PM

Thanks for replies on forum. Certainly furthers my steam education. Not sure of question originator's reason for asking, but rather then maintaining boiler water level, I was thinking more along the line of sucking water from a pool to refill the water tank. Is there such a thing, and is it practical?

Cheers

Date: December 27, 2007 07:35PM

Take a look at Ejectors.
A lot of steam cars use them to suck water from a pond or river to fill their water tank.

[www.croll.com]

Posted by: 1900 Locomobile (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 30, 2007 10:17PM

in reply to your question, I am inquiring about the device that use steam to pump water into the boiler

Date: December 31, 2007 09:15AM

Your looking for a device called an injector. I have not seen any made for steam above 300 PSI. Injectors have a reputation as being temper mantle but I believe its more operator error then the device. They need to be kept clean of debris and like cold water on the suction side.

I use a Penberthy 1/2 inch model AA-328 rated 50 to 200 PSI on my 35-foot steamboat Tryall.

[ourworld-top.cs.com]

Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 31, 2007 10:40AM

Locomobile steam cars nicely operate at 180 to 200 PSI steam pressure. At 300 PSI and up, the engine cranks litterly twist off of their crank shaft by shearing their key ways. I have watched it happen. Bob Edwards of Arizona had owned a 1910 10 hp Stanley which operated at 400 psi. He purchased a Mobile steamer and thought that the Mobile would operate better at the same higher boiler pressure of the Stanley. Raising the steam pressure to about 325 pounds, it did work better, for about 5 minutes. A Penberthy water injector would work nicely at around 180 pounds of steam. I have never seen a Penberthy water injector installed on a Locomobile steam car though. The other type of boiler feed water pump, the Union steam driven boiler water feed pump, like was recently sold on eBay, usually uses about as much boiler water as it pumps and it is therefore a more of a curosity when installed on a Locomobile. The Union and many others just like it are steam driven piston type feed water pumps. If you need to fill your Locomobile's boiler quickly using steam, with the rear axle blocked up and the rear wheel spinning, run it's feed water pump just like is often seen done with the Stanley steamer. You do not need a jack to lift the Locomobile, just pick up one wheel and set your axle on it's portable stand.

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC