Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Re: steam generated water pump
Posted by: (---.plus.com)
Date: December 31, 2007 11:17AM

1900 Locomobile please check you PM,s, I have sent you the information you require

Locomobile

Posted by: (---.for.connect.net.au)
Date: December 31, 2007 07:00PM

Rolly, I googled 'penberthy steam injectors', and got 1 hit only for Andersons, with a pdf price list, but no specs. They look a handy pump, but very expensive at some $800 each. Do you have an estimate of how long it might take your 1/2 inch model at 200psi to move say 10 gallons of water? Also, what lift depth will it handle? Thanks.

Merv

Edit to Locomobile: Any chance of putting the info on the forum so we can all see it? Thanks.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12/31/07 07:02PM by mervk.

Posted by: Rolly (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2007 08:24PM

There is a scale from 3 ft lift to 20 foot. But lets stay with 3 Ft. 60 PSI will pump 130 Gal per Hour at 74 degrees water temp. At 200 PSI it will pump 180 Gals per hour.
I am not sure Penberthy is making injectors any more but I see them on E-bay from time to time.

Date: December 31, 2007 10:24PM

That's 3 gallons a minute! That's good pumping. If it will do half that at 10 foot then it will be worth having! I have put a search into ebay for an email whenever anything "Penberthy" is listed.

Thanks for great info.

Merv

Edit: Item #150200553898 on ebay is for a steam injector. Is this the same thing?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12/31/07 10:30PM by mervk.

Date: January 1, 2008 07:56AM

No that one is a miniature one for model steam plants.
When I said I had a ½ inch one that refers to ½ inch IPS (Iron pipe size)
Look at these sites to know what you’re looking for. There are many manufactures.

[www.steamengine.com.au]

[www.steamengine.com.au]

[www.buckleyoldengineshow.org]

Posted by: (---.plus.com)
Date: January 1, 2008 09:20AM

Hello mervk
Sorry I feel I should not post copies of Patents, original published articles and private correspondence etc on a forum without owners permission.
locomobile

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: January 1, 2008 10:46AM

Hi,

I will put in my experience with methods of getting water into the boiler on the Locomobile type steam cars.

1. General usage the standard water pump is adquate, if you are standing for long periods the standard hand pump soon brings the water level up.

2. The Overman type donkey pumps, work well as long as you allow the steam pressure to drop to under 100psi on a Locomobile, and you have to keep them clean, as the steam ways to the shuttle valve are very small, we have one car here fitted with a very nice two cylinder donkey pump, made by Ofeldt, this is a much better design, and always starts when required.

3. Steam injectors work well as long as the feed water is cold, after a few miles in a Locomobile the water in the tank gets hot, and an injector won't pick-up. Another down side is they are almost impossible to operate while on the move, you only have to lose your concentration for a minute with a Locomobile and you can find yourself in the ditch, and it is very difficult to hear if a injector is operating properly over general road noise, a lot of water can be lost out the drain without you realising its not picked up.

Hope this helps, Jeff.

Date: January 1, 2008 03:59PM

Jeff makes some very good points.
Merv
I am still unclear what your intention are, from your last post I sense you want to suck water from a pond or river directly into the boiler. You can do that with the injector. You could use a two-way valve and fill your tank or boiler. You will need a good filter on the suction side. The least little crap will stop them from working.

Or you could use an Ejector to fill only the tank from the river or pond. It will not pump into the boiler.

A duplex pump properly sized and adjusted can be used to maintain water level in the boiler automatically, from your tank water. As I stated before look for one used on 1-1/2 scale locomotives, there are some nice pumps out there. $$$

Both the injector and ejector will drain pressure from the boiler very fast. They will also heat the water in the tank. Keep the fire on.

Date: January 1, 2008 06:41PM

Thanks guys, but sucking from a bridge or pond was my intention, and the Penberthy appears just the ticket. Hard work using a bucket, and many stretches here where taps and garden hoses are thin on the ground. Have 15 X 20 litre plastic containers for support vehicle, but even then my stature and strength are not suitable for lifting 50 lbs. 5 foot high to tip into the tank. The penberthy sounds like it would empty one of them in 2 minutes, faster then they pour out the spout!

Have found a 3/8 version in UK for 60 pounds sterling, so am going to buy one to see how it goes. Can put anyone interested in touch if you want. Locomobile, you are correct with your respect of patents.

Keeping the boiler topped up is easy. Keeping water in the tiny tank is the problem.............

Cheers

Merv

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: January 2, 2008 04:18AM

Hi Merv,
The name is usually "Water Lift" (Siphon), left over from traction engine days, they often had them fitted, a very large version, You can make one from a standard copper home plumbing fitting, if you buy a standard tee as close to that drawing shape I sent you as possible, get someone to turn you a lump of brass close to what's on the drawing to fit to your tee, silver solder the two parts together, and you will be surprised how well it will work, measurements, sizes, etc are not to fuzzy, I have made one like this, I experimented with the two parts pushed together, hook up a hose and use compressed air, push the jet part in and out to get best performance, mark and silver solder.

I've just had a quick look at one of our suppliers. From my website, go to links, second link down J R Goold..........., click enter site, click Catalogue, click Other Items, ninth item down "Water Lift Siphon £50, that's what you need, good luck, Jeff.

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC