Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Shortage of Imports
Posted by: Ian Vinton (---.range86-156.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 15, 2008 05:25PM

I note that the number of cars being imported seems to have dried up !

Why is this, the exchange rate is very good, for us Brits. but there seems to be few cars coming on the market.

Any one know why the buy and sale market has dried up ??

Ian V

Re: Shortage of Imports
Posted by: (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 17, 2008 01:57PM

Dunno....the last one I picked up was the 1907 Model F last year - was very tempted to ditch the Model 607 for it but could not face another mechanical restoration. There have been some nice cars auctioned in the US recently though, and even with the rise in prices I thought one at least might have come over here.

Re: Shortage of Imports
Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 18, 2008 11:39AM

The supply of steam cars in North America has been greatly diminished. Not only were they greatly exported to the UK, but they were also exported to the rest of the world too. There are still many steam cars left in North America, but presently they are not as easily found, nor are they as easily found available for sale. I remember back about 20 years ago when junk steam cars were still being found in the back woods for almost free, the only cost being, was just the cost of hauling the car or pieces of it home. They were the rare occasions, but I had seen it happen. The donor Stanley for my 1911 Model 85's rear axle, I found hanging on a canyon wall south of Lewiston, Idaho. Been there, done that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC