Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam powered Packard?
Posted by: adventurerjim (---.dsl1.kgm.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 18, 2008 07:17PM

I am an associate editor with Cars & Parts magazine as well as a freelance writer. As I often need illustrations for articles the office is filled with all manner of historic photos and related material.
I recently acquired some fascinating photos. They are of a late 1930s Packard with what appears to be a steam engine. As the car looks almost new the conversion is even more interesting.
I have posted two of the photos on my blog and will post the third this evening. I have also noted this find on several other forums and to date have two rough leads that point in the same direction.
The car was built in Massachusetts using a Stanley engine. As of about ten years ago the car still existed in the Boston area.
Here is a link to my blog - [route66chronicles.blogspot.com]
If you have ideas or thought on this car please let me know. Thank you.

Re: Steam powered Packard?
Posted by: (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 19, 2008 12:41PM

The car in question is a 1940 Packard. An article about it can be found in the pages of "The Modern Steam Car" By Thomas Derr, published by Floyd Clymer. The caption amoungst it's photos says: "This 1940 Packard 180 chassis...138" wheelbase, was converted by Mr. Marshall into a steam car...The inside of the car is shown with the steam instruments attached below the cowl...the former Packard gear-shift lever is the steam throttle...Quite classy, I'd say!-Clymer" Tom Marshall,Sr, was a Stanley dealer and also a Packard dealer in Auburn Heights, Delaware. Tom Marshall Jr's present steam car collection is one of the finest steam car collections in the world. Tom no longer owns the Packard steamer that his father built. The steam car collection and estate have been turned over to the State of Delaware as a state owned historical preserve. It is a must see!

Posted by: (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 23, 2008 09:57PM

This car is still located just a few miles from Tom Marshall's place. If you like, I could forward your message to the owner.

Kelly

Posted by: adventurerjim (---.dsl2.kgm.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 7, 2008 06:36PM

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had a few project deadlines come together at the same time. Yes, it would be great to speak with the owner. Perhaps he would allow a story to be published on this fascinating automobile.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC