Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Advice Please
Posted by: (---.pool1.unallocated-106-64.orangehomed)
Date: June 29, 2008 11:58AM

Hi I hope someone can help,
I purchased a locomobile replica(not ModelWorks) earlier this year, built by a renowned model engineer, sadly no longer with us.
I ran the car a few times without incident, then through my own fault let it's power drop under 24v.
the result was after a charge the burner would not kick-in. It has a Selectos D42 oil burner which now I can get to fire out of the boiler but not in? after stripping and cleaning, I presume with low batteries the fan speed dropped and sooted up the jet and ignition.
I can now strip this with eyes closed...any advice would gratefully accepted as we wish to run it in a local event on the 5th July.

Paul Self
Durham

Re: Advice Please
Posted by: (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: June 30, 2008 05:09PM

You might try seeing if you have a flame sensor. My home brewed power plant has a Honeywell CDS magic eye sensor. If it gets obscured or sooted up nothing will run. It's about the same size as a small pill bottle and on my burner was tucked where it was practically invisible.....I didn't think I'd need frequent access when I installed it....I was wrong :-)
Cheers
Mark Stacey

Posted by: (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 1, 2008 11:32AM

I'd also suspect the flame sensor. I have one of the modelworks Locos and the flame sensors in these residential/commercial burners aren't rated for the heat that most loco designes achieve. If the fan comes on and you hear the spark but you don't get the flame, I'd bet the flame sensor has melted.

Date: July 2, 2008 05:16PM

Thanks for the advice Mark and Dutchdarrin,
I need all the help I can get,we have a steam launch with a coal fired Blackstaffe boiler,any ignition problems are usually down to damp kindling!The set up has not got a flame sensor and I have now changed the nozzle and air control slide. Again burns great outside the car.When installed I can hear the ignition sparking but all I get is gas oil leaking from pump/boiler flange.

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: July 2, 2008 07:13PM

Hi Paul,

You mentioned 'Gas Oil' you should use heating oil which is lighter 28sec oil,

rather than 32sec gas oil, this might be the problem, hope this helps, Jeff.

Date: July 3, 2008 01:20PM

Hi Jeff,

read your post at work, made a sharp exit but could only buy heating oil in volumes of 500ltrs locally.
I bought parrafin instead...and a good afternoons steaming was had.
We will now make our local event on Saturday.
A very quick and sharp learning curve, but I now know the burner in detail so hopefully can overcome any other problems it might throw my way.
Thank you all for your advice
Regards
Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC