Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
flame out for 740
Posted by: (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: July 22, 2008 08:32AM

we are trying to fit a flame out gauge to the 740, but someone erased the thermocouple info from the side of the gauge, can anybody supply the information to enable us to purchase the correct unit?
it would also be great if there is any info on fitting techniques etc that may help with sucessful fitment.

locosurrey

Re: flame out for 740
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.brhm.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 04:47PM

Thermocouple is Type K. The one to use has a 3mm stainless steel flexible sheath enclosing the actual thermocouple end. Get the longest sheath (a metre if poss) so it is protected against physical damage. The probe end should be put through a hole drilled in the burner casing so as to get the probe into the flame of the pilot about 1/2 inch above the pilot casting and below the superheater. The probe can get a bit sooted up over a period which makes it read low so prod the soot off now and again. The reading depends much on the position of the probe in relation to the flame but you will find that as long as it reads in the green area of the dial the pilot should reliably light the main burner. Into the white it gets a bit dodgy and into the red - better stop and see what's happened! I find that when the main burner is on full flame the pilot is a bit starved of air which makes for a cooler yellow flame and drops the dial reading into the white. Often a bit of stack blower will create more suction and let the pilot draw more air and recover so this is the first thing to do if the pilot gauge starts to show a low reading.

Mike

Posted by: (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: July 23, 2008 04:52AM

thank you greatly, we will advance upon this info, but reserve the right to question further.

regards,
locosurrey

Posted by: (163.232.56.---)
Date: August 5, 2008 11:48PM

I am still having difficulty getting the "businees end bits" of the flame out gauge, has anyone any more details that may help source the thermocouple? a supplier? etc.

regards,
locosurrey

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: August 6, 2008 05:15AM

Hi Dave,

I have found the best place for thermocouples is eBay, there are always a few "K"

types being advertised, all the best, Jeff.

Posted by: Tim Senior (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 6, 2008 05:26AM

Try [uk.rs-online.com]

Tim

Posted by: Gerry (---.range86-147.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 7, 2008 05:40AM

Hello Dave
The thermocouples i use are
TJ2-CASS-IM304-100_SBOOUK060900
Gland No SSLK-M30-14P
From
OMEGA
Tel 0800 488488
Very good service
Gerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC