Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Re: unidentified Locomobile
Posted by: (---.174.broadband5.iol.cz)
Date: August 14, 2008 11:51AM

Thanks very much to everyone!

Sorry for not replying immediately, but I am out on holidays and Martin is out in south Bohemia repairing a steam engine. I`ll go through the images and links provided and try to provide more info. As I said before, there are are hundreds of images available, will try to post some more of the more interesting when I get home.

The car went through couple modifications. We suspect the steering was modified (some of floor plates changed) in 1930ties or later with parts from around that era. The previous owner tried to modify it for gas power, we were told - but we don˚t know if he succeded...

Thanks again.

Lukáš

Posted by: (---.174.broadband5.iol.cz)
Date: August 26, 2008 02:42PM

Hello,

a friend took some measurements:

Wheel base: 1850 mm (72.8 inch)

Wheel track: 1420 mm (55.9 inch) (including wheel hubs: 1600 mm - 62.9 inch)

wheel rim diameter: 640 mm (25.19 inch)

diameter including tyre: 820 mm (32.28 inch).

The two venturi burner is most likely original (I cannot imagine somebody making a new casting just for the fun of it...) - it is just placed in a "newly" made part (unoriginal part) of the boiler on the images. The part that sits on top of that is original and the burner fits into it. The valve also seems to look original. Image from catalogue Brad described (Thanks!) has a description text: "Burner, Improved pattern;"... (What is improved pattern?)

Lukas

Posted by: Brad Austin (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: August 26, 2008 09:18PM

Hi Lukas,

For the Touring B, the 1902 model year per Don Ball's Locomobile book says the wheelbase is 73 inches. The 1903 model year in Floyd Clymer's reprint show's 79 inches. The original wire wheels were single tube 28" and most of them were replaced because of availability of tires. I can't speak to the 2 venturi system, but I have now put a picture of my burner in my Locomobile web site: [cid-5f75268df2f60d67.spaces.live.com] It's the last picture. Your burner might have been upgraded to the 2 venturi's at some point. You might be able to draw a conclusion after looking at the picture.

I believe the "burner, improved design" refers to the 1903 style with the new pilot, pre heater and superheated steam. I don't have knowledge if the pattern is different.

All in all, you have a quite complete and rare automobile. Neither Art Hart or Don Ball have ever seen one!

Brad

Posted by: (85.124.128.---)
Date: August 29, 2008 09:28AM

Dear friends in steam
Maybe your car is one of this 3 Locomobiles that had been offered to the former Austrian government with the letter and pictures enclosed. You can find the step plates on the front axle for the front seats on both cars, the original pictures of 1903 and your pictures in the forum. Mr. Isidor von Ritsch imported only few cars from US so it is rather possible that your car comes from Austria. I have more information about this company.

Greetings from Vienna
Peter Wueringer

Sorry, I don´t know how to post pictures in this phorum so I send them directly to your email address

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC