Steam Car Club Forum
Steam Car Club : The Steam Car.....Forum
The Official Forum for the Steam Car Club
The fastest message board....ever.
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam cars and steam rallies
Posted by: Ian Vinton (---.range86-155.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 9, 2008 05:59PM

Just to plant the seed.

If more steam rallies organised steam car tours, to start and finish, at the rally would steam car owners be interested ?

Drop you thoughts here !

Regards
Ian Vinton

Re: Steam cars and steam rallies
Posted by: Mike Clark (---.watf.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 04:23PM

Ian,

It seems like you got your answer!!

The present incarnation of the Steam car Club really got going because the few who were running steamers at the start of the 1990's were fed up with sitting in fields with traction engines and wanted to get out on the road. Although we all dearly love traction engines I suspect many of us still feel the same and we have plenty of things to do without tagging onto Steam Rallies. Witness the lack of enthusiasm among us to join the gang at the Great Dorset.

In my own case I am very happy to do local runs when I can drive the Stanley there and back and make a good day of it but I wouldn't think of going further by trailer.

Mike

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2008 02:49AM

Hi Ian and Mike,

I also steam to as many local Steam Rallies as possible during each year as long as they miss the organised Steam Car Tours, the fun part being the drive too and from the rally field, we quite often steam back and forth each day, arriving a bit late and leaving earlier than most, the organisers of shows are warned of the way we operate, and a crowd always assembles around the time they think we may prepare to leave as the fire up process is still fascinating for the average member of the public.

It looks like next year is going to be a bumper year for steam car tours, with one being organised in the Cotswolds for a week, another tour through Belgium into France, and a full tour in the Dorset area, as the arrangements are confirmed, watch the web page and magazine for details.

All the best, Jeff.

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.bmly.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 04:32PM

Good thing the price of oil is dropping then!

Mike

Posted by: Mike Clark (---.bmly.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: September 21, 2008 04:21PM

Gerry and Ann

Well done all - and I'm glad you enjoyed it - just not for me I'm afraid.

Mike

Posted by: Peter Williams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 24, 2008 01:10PM

I have to add my little bit to this discussion.

I too see no point in taking a steam car to the average 'peggy' steam rally. However there are several reasons why a week a Dorset can be worthwhile.

1. As the largest event of its kind in the world it is a wonderful chance to see all manner of steam powered devices actually working.

2. As the only 'National' steam gathering one has a chance to meet and talk to other enthusiasts from all over the country.

3. As the third largest town in Dorset for a week it is odd to find such a riduculous proportion of the population sharing one's idiosyncratic interests!

4. For those that have been coming for many years it is a chance to maintain long standing friendships.

5. For the wives and sweethearts, an amazing range of other things to do including the craft tents and heavy horses.

6. A splendid shop window for our hobby. A chance to interest future steam car owners and to sign on new members of our club.

7. A wonderful ambiance which only those who stay on site could appreciate.

I could go on!

Jeff is wrong to suggest that it is only a small minority of steam car owners who want to attend.

In 2005 we had 17 entrants. In 2006 and 2007 we had to compete with concurrent events but we would have equalled or exceeded the 2005 total of participants this year had Martin Oliver not had to limit invitations to last year's total, as a result of the unexpected additional fuel costs associated with re-running the very first 'Great Working of Steam Engines' in 1968. We had none of our Dutch friends and several others who depend upon some help with their transport costs.

Now that we have one of the best pitches at the fair, perhaps there are others who would like to join us in 2009.

Peter

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2008 07:04AM

Am I missing something Peter? I can't see where I've said anything about a

minority wanting to attend the Great Dorset?? all the best, Jeff.

Posted by: Peter Williams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 25, 2008 07:31AM

I'm sorry Jeff. I should have said Mike! See his comment on Sept 18th.

Peter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
The Steam Car Club Forum
Having trouble logging in or posting messages? Email forum@steamcar.net for help.
Web by NPC